Old 12-10-2007   #1
The best multi day trip?

This last fall i went on my first multiday trip in cataract canyon and it was one of the best trips i have ever taken. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest other great trips that i can dream about while i wait for summer. Maybe your top 5 in terms of play, scenery, and overall coolness of the place.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #2
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
the moon. Shuttle is a bit of a hassle though

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Permitted Runs:

Total Experience-The Grand

Whitewater Bang for your Buck-Middle Fork of the Salmon/Snake/Selway

Beginner-Desolation/Gray Canyons

Best Desert Trip-Salt

Middle of Nowhere-Tatshenshini/Alsek, AK

Also look at the San Juan, Yampa, Rogue, and Gates of Lodore.

Jarbridge/Bruneau, Gila, Labrynth and Stillwater (flat but scenic), linked runs with multiple public access points, etc.

There's many more that I'm just not thinking of right now. With a little more detail regarding specifically what you're looking for, I'm sure we could point you in the right direction. Bottom line is, they're all awesome.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #4
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
And those are really just the classics. There tons more multidays in the form of creeking expeditions and international if you want to think big: Canada, Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Chile, Peru, China, Russia, the Baltics, etc. The list goes on and on.

So many little time.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #5
Boulder, Colorado
my top 5
1) Grand Canyon
2) Middle fork of the salmon
3) stien river (BC)
4) Black Canyon
5) jarbidge/bruneo

and my top run for it the middle of fuckin nowhere is the Firth river in the yukon

I hope to add Upper Cherry to this next summer and some other Cali goods, middle fork of the feather sounds sweet.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #6
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
multi day

Anyone you are on...
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I'll add my vote for the Yampa and Lodore Canyons. Not the hardest whitewater in the world but they are two incredibly scenic canyons with beautiful camping and great side hikes.
jsyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #8
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm suprised that no one mentioned the South Fork Salmon yet. Although not as long as the Middle Fork, it has similarly gorgeous scenery, and better whitewater. Plus, you can link the SF Salmon canyon run (the traditional overnighter) with either the Secesh, Goat Creek Run, or the East Fork South Fork/Johnson Creek if you want a longer trip. The only caveate is that the entire drainage was torched this summer, so wood will be an issue this year, and the forest scenery will be on the black and ghostly side of things.

My personal favorite is the Clarks Fork Box. Not for everyone, but if you're game you would be hard pressed to find a better mix of challenge, scenery, and solitude.

I'm praying for snow so that the Jarbidge/Bruneau will run this year.
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007   #9
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Main Salmon

Add the Main Salmon River in Idaho to the list of great multi-day trips. It's not as pristine at the Middle Fork of the Salmon, but it's typically much easier to obtain a permit for. You can turn it into a longer trip by adding non permitted sections (before and after the wilderness section) to your trip. The river has big water, big rapids, hot springs, and depending on the water level, large beaches that can make for fun camping.

If you don't draw a permit, you can always launch pre-season, anytime up to June 20th. You can pretty much take the run as fast or slow as you want. In 2006 we launched the morning of the 19th and pulled off the afternoon of the 21st, covering 96 miles with an average of 5 hours on the river each day. Even the flat water sections were moving.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote