Old 02-25-2014   #1
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
The beginning of the rest of my life!!

I'm currently a high school student who's gotten hooked on kayaking. I love the outdoors, mountains, and the rivers. I'm looking at colleges right now and deciding what I'm gonna do for the rest of my life.

What I'm asking I guess is where are some options for college that are not too metro and have a variety of kayaking spots nearby.

Also, I have to think about what I would major in so I can get a job haha. I want to live in a mountain town and I am wondering what are some good jobs in mountain towns so I could support a family and my kayaking addiction.

Thanks so much!

Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #2
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
First you have to decide on your interests (job wise).

If i was too do it all over again i would study Landscape Architecture. Its rewarding, plenty of jobs in the mtns (due to high end homes/landscape budgets), and pays well.

You can work for an architectural outfit (desk job) or start your own design/build company (desk and outside). But that is just me.

You could also study building construction. be a Project Mangler up in the mountains.

Another option that would require schooling is Food/Beverage/Hospitality. Run a Hotel, restaurant.

The get rich (relative) option is to go into software sales or banking. MOve to Silicone Valley, Charlotte or Northern Virginia....not so much outdoors.

Since you are from Eagle....if you were my son...i'd send your ass to the East or West Coast...see something differernt. Get away from CU, CSU and Montana (JMO).

I went to Virginia Tech, plenty of kayaking and WW nearby. Asheville North Carolina also has much WW. I don't know the Oregon / Wash St. schools.

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #3
salida, Colorado
Ft Lewis College(Durango) has an excellent outdoor ed. program... Landscaping is also a sweet option.
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Bozeman MT is a fantastic mountain town with a great university and ample kayaking options nearby (not to mention hiking fishing, hunting, skiing, etc). As for majors, I was a business major and while I enjoyed it I would recommend getting a more technical/specialized degree. Montana State has a fantastic computer science program and there are a number of tech companies in town that hire almost exclusively MSU graduates and pay very well compared to the local average.
Bpsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #5
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2007
Jobs in mountain towns: Landscape Architects, Construction, Property Management, Hospitality, Accountants & Financial Services, Medical (If the town has a hospital).

After choosing your major, research the best schools for that particular program. Give preference to schools that have low costs in order to avoid debt as much as possible. Use your summers to do internships in different mountain towns that interest you; this will give you a chance to kayak and build your professional network at the same time.

Good Luck!
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #6
Avon, Colorado
Almost forgot- anesthesiologist was the other profession i would recommend for the go-getter-type. Lots of liability, but a fairly routine job for big $$$.
Old 02-25-2014   #7
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hate to recommend it but IT - its everywhere and if you are good half the jobs are remote these days. An engineering degree is usually money well spent in about any field. If I had it to do over again I would also consider nursing or teaching/research but the latter is not a field easy to make money.

Since you live here agree with other opinions about seeing more - head to PNW or east coast. Year round paddling and college is another thing I would change.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #8
Avon, Colorado
Ah to do it all over again...i would skip the paddling, goto an SEC school....and party.
Old 02-25-2014   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2007
One last opinion-

Don't get tempted to be a recreation management or outdoor education major. The classes are possibly the most fun classes you could ever take, but the job market is very competitive and generally low paying. I only say this because you stated your interest in supporting a family. This is a generalized opinion, but I've seen friends go this route only to go back to school for a more marketable degree later on.
windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #10
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Apalachian State in Boone, NC. You have the Watauga as your before and after class run as well as a lot of great boaters in the area. The list of quality runs within 2 hours of Boone is too long to list.

mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote