Old 02-25-2014   #21
Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
My vote is for physical therapist. You can get a gig in any town in any state, work inside or outside as you see fit. Make some killer money and possibly pioneer a program based on kayaking.

Dusto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #22
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for all the help guys! What kind of kayaking is near OU and Seattle University? I know there is a lot of kayaking in the PNW but is it near either place?

Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #23
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
If you are talking about University of Oregon there is great kayaking nearby. the real question in Oregon is what type of kayaking do you want? Park and Play we are a little lacking we are not Colorado where there are play parks everywhere. However if you want to do river running or creeking then you will be in the correct spot. I have no clue about Seattle but from what I hear there is great paddling in that area as well
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #24
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
2ed for Western State Colorado University

They are affordable and have and incredibly active white water club!
During my time there we did november cat canyon trips during fall break and salt river and cat canyon trips during spring break. We also got a two few grand canyon trips in as well.

Good luck with the search.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #25
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Durango is a pretty cool town. And they have a bus system. Lots of good stuff close. Decent music scene last time I was there. Know a couple kids that went there and know a few grown kids that moved there. Skiing close, in town terrain park. Drop in from your dorm room. River runs through it.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #26
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
If you consider going east as some have mentioned, think about considering WVU in Morgantown WV. Great school, insanely affordable and a fun town that often makes the "Top Party School" Lists.

We have water year round, crazy amount of boating in the state but in Morgantown off the top of my head you have; Big Sandy, Little Sandy, Cheat River (and Cheatfest), The Yough, Deckers Creek, Three Forks Creek, Tygart Valley river and untold numbers of Class V steep creek runs...all within about 30 mins.

To surmize you have water ranging from bigwater to creek runs and low intensity to Class V. North Branch of Potomac, Middle Fork River, Blackwater River (and tons of others) isn't too much farther. A few hour drive and you can be on the Famous New or Gauley Rivers and all the awesome tribs to them as well (Gauleyfest too). There's just too much boating to cover in one lifetime, let alone one post like this.

I often look back and wish I was more into boating than I was women and drinking while at college at WVU.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #27
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
There's a kayak club at CU Boulder. You can get pool time every week and make good friends. Most everyone in it seems to be some kind of science major, physics, engineering, etc..
Rocky_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #28
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Bounce around a little

In the boating sunset of my WW career, I would direct you to finish the degree no matter what and then not start a working/committed career until you have done some things that pique your interest. Travel, play, take short-term jobs with high fun-factors because once the career gets going, things settle.

It is extremely hard to predict the future job market.
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #29
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I'd look strongly at Colorado Mountain College in Steamboat Springs, CO. Once you get your in-district tuition, it's dirt cheap. Take a couple years boating and skiing powder while you figure out what you want to do job/career wise. The Yampa has good play boating and there is the Elk, Fish Creek and Cross Mountain nearby. The ski area is lacking steeps, but there's good tree skiing and plenty of pow pow. Plus, the Zirkles off great backpacking in the summer- mountain biking all around too.

*Going to a trade school to learn a trade is a good idea too- that's a job that should be around in the future while many others continue to get outsourced to other countries or eliminated completely...
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #30
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you are interested in medicine you should look at getting your R.N.plenty of jobs out there good pay lots of demand and good backcountry knowledge. In 4-6 years you can get your CCR and look being aflight nurse. you can find a job anywhere and be the man on all your trips in the back country. Just my 2. That's what is what I would do If I could do it over again. PS. I am a paramedic but not using it because the pay sucks.

g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote