Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2005   #31
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
LoopDog - get a damn clue - you don't know me. Go read the last post where you flamed and said I swam at Union. Then go ask the guys I boat with if I didn't clean read and run every drop on Upper G, coming off the couch from a long hiatus. Ask my crew if I didn't probe every single big rapid on the Grand last year and run the hole at Crystal. Oh and I have video to prove it. I know you don't, so shut the hell up.

Don - I wouldn't be very useful unless you are going to franchise CK, or if you get your trademark stolen. Better try Mayo first, I don't know jack about the criminal stuff.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 10-06-2005   #32
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Leif --

Matter of fact, I've arranged a special tidal exchange at Skook just for you & the dorks-on-tour. OK, no I didn't ... but according to my playboater friend Andrew:

"It's running early morning at great tides (14.3 and 13.7)." on Oct 22 & 23rd.

Thats in like 2 weeks. Oh, & those numbers refer to knots at peak flow. Thats a super-solid flow which means the wave will get really big & fast, then it'll green out & be unrideable for a long time, then it'll get big & good again, and all the shit downstream will be HECTIC.

Apart from that, there should be plenty of other options for creeking around here, the Peninsula, BC -- it's been raining, so the low water turned into richter flows last week. It's settled down, but all the regular stuff in BC is going. I think some of the local creeks here are going to be running tomorrow, so we're planning on doing something.

I'll be around. & you'll have places to stay here & in BC. If you guys want to come out for the skook thing, we could prolly reserve a little cabin in Egmont so we have a warm/dry place to sleep while there.

Kyle was talking about coming up on a little later schedule, like in Nov, so maybe you guys could put something together with him too.

Lemme know.

Old 10-06-2005   #33
Denver, Colorado
Caspian, you can read and run everything on the Gauley? Congrats, you are officially a class 3 boater, Union at 1000 is still way over your head.
Old 10-07-2005   #34
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
How about some facts to back up your shit-talking? Oh, that's right - you've got none - you don't even know who I am...

Union at 1000 -- I forgot that this is the qualifying expert run now. WTF??? Well, rest assured, we're all quite impressed that you are comfortable at that level. When Union has a marginal wave next spring, I'll be on vacation out east on the Green Narrows with my other class III friends. Enjoy yourself.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 10-07-2005   #35
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
hobie-- i think that some of these guys who STILL do not understand [or are bitter about] what is going on here must be cocky young as$holes [probably from the front range ] we were all there ourselves many years ago.
Old 10-07-2005   #36
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
It's not the young guys who are complainning about this whole situation. It's all you old senial paddlers who have never been, and want to just show up and front surf. And as for the front range thing, most of the front rangers if they found out where it is would stop complaining about it being a secret and start bitching about the drive.
Old 10-07-2005   #37
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
A couple of thoughts...

When a place gets boated too much for whatever reasons, restrictions get put in place. Most are in the form of the government permitting runs like the grand, westwater, salmon, etc.

Hobie and others noted that the owner doesn't want too many crowds or disrespect to his property. I think that as a seemingly tight boating community, colorado boaters could rally together to work with the owner and each other to come up with a "self regulating" system that would keep all happy, without those in the know telling everyone else that they can't boat it ever.

How many boaters are too much? How many cars are too much? How about boaters pitching in and buying a trashcan and cleaning up themselves. Maybe a small sign, no camping, no littering, max 20 people 10 cars, or that sort of thing. It seems unbelievable that the boating community would not be able to self regulate to protect a place without barring access to all but a select few. With all of the communication on the buzz, net access etc it seems that someone amongst the more enterprising of the M-wave "locals" could work a deal with the rest of colorado that we could all live with. Just a thought. If we can't self regulate, keep places clean, and respect our environment, what does that say about us as a whole anyway? Not much.
Old 10-07-2005   #38
At the risk of inflaming this issue, here's my perspective:

It's not a secret spot.
This spot is so well known, most people already know it's location and anyone in Colorado can find out where it is. They can find the spot from either past posts, like I did, or just by asking someone. I could have asked one of three people, but it wasn't necessary. One of the pictures even had the name of the canal.

Constantly calling this a secret play spot and carrying on about it will raise the allure and attract more people. I know some of you are very responsible about the communication, but that's not true of all. Too many people know about this spot and it's gotten too much publicity, not only in this forum.

The sensitivites of this spot are not being passed on by the word of mouth that I hear about it.

I wanted to let you know that this spot is not so secret anymore. The satellite photo is obvious to people who already know the place, but to those who don't know the place, it would take some work to nail down since there's no identifying information on it. This won't cause masses of class III boaters from the Front Range to converge on the spot.
Old 10-07-2005   #39
considering that three veteran playboaters in the 303 recently told me of a secret front range play wave, (although not nearly as sweet as M-wave) but only 30 minute drive instead of 5hours.
why don't people spend more time looking in their own backyards? instead of being lazy and relying on others to find the goods.

Closed Thread