Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-20-2004   #21
ski/kayak bum
i'll tell you what, trying to find work in the mtns after christmas and before spring break as been alot of fun. (but i wont give up happy poverty and submit to traffic)

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004   #22
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by gh
You don't use any less water than I do. You just take it out at a different point and I might point out that you pollute it as well and you do it in the Mountains while I do it at a place that no one seems to care about from a beauty standpoint.
Well said.

And on a side note, let's get away from the presumption that every boater is a dyed-in-the-wool liberal. I know many that are not. Boaters on the the whole are more liberal, sure - but realize there are a lot of kayakers who are Republicans, Libertarians, and (gasp) independents.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004   #23
ski/kayak bum
mvhyde---you've seen the mississippi, do you really want to drink that water? nasty....
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #24
San Marcos, Texas
It's all good. We know tx has less water Low volume is a way of life here. Mexican creek ran for the first time in 5 years. As for the run off, Is yanky shit cleaner?. I get out every day, The play park behind my house is 72 degrees and so clear you can see fish when you flip year round. hot girls everywhere. When you are talking shit on the internet this winter think about me and the other poor tx paddlers out there in a warm blanket of fog having fun. Face it, talking shit on the internet is just shit. So let the homless guys fight fer chrisake. but dont feel sorry for me.
jimmynedmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #25
I just don't get the dislike here on the Buzz. I mean I love Texans speacially the one that just paid 405 a square for my little Aframe built in 66. But I gotta admit the power line running thru the back of the lot added ambiance. Wish i could be there when he sidels up to a bar in Salida next to rednck and say's "Ya'll locals me too"! And I really love the west sloppers well when they keep my coffee cup full and my Lawn mowed anyway. But as far as my highlands ranch neighbors noy so much . sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #26
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
Front Rangers or “Rangers” vs. Texans – Agreed that they both have their good and their bad traits. I think that I have to say that I would rather deal with Texans over “Rangers” for the following reasons:

1. Texans for the most part know that they are gapers and accept this role in the pecking order of the resort, backcountry, or play spot. Texans also seem to have some grasp that they just do not get it and happily play out their week or so vacation by spending money and sticking to the easy terrain or guided tours. They take the ribbing that we give them and happily return for another short stay. Texans also do not live and support a tax base that is constantly attempting to lower our overall quality of life up here by buying the water and transferring it over basins for the soooo important blue grass lawns on the Front Range. Aside from driving at an extremely slow pace and that loud accent most Texans are extremely easy to deal with and are not attempting to change our lifestyle at a fundamental level.

2. “Rangers” for some reason feel the need to prove to us hillbilly locals that they actually know what they are doing. For most this is a big mistake (trust me that matching REI outfit does not make you fit in up here). “Rangers” seem to feel the need explain how they skied 100 days a year while they were in college. We don’t care! One sign that you are a “ranger” is if you even keep track of the days you spent here or there. Most of you are skiing at the same level as those Texans everybody loves to make fun of anyway. Then if anyone pokes a bit of fun at a “Ranger” they get right in you face to let you know how ass backward everything is up here in our little hic utopia. The “Rangers” seem to be in a race up to the hills passing Texans or anyone else who gets in their way and and for what? - Everything is still going to be here even if you get here 5 min later. Finally when that bell rings – that bell that every “Ranger” is familiar with the one that rings clear and calls back the endless line of cars at 3pm or so every Sunday us hillbilly folk can relax, then go back to just lookin out for the slow Texans and not worry about getting blindsided by a fast driving “Ranger” in a huge SUV wanting to get home to catch the latest reality show on TV.

Now all of you “Rangers” don’t get the wrong idea. We appreciate you coming up for a visit. Just remember that you are visiting and just because you live on the Front Range does not make you local up here. In reality it is just the opposite. Remember the policies that you support by living in a Front Range community. Many of these policies are in a direct conflict with the small communities that are west of Bailey or the Eisenhower Tunnel. That is why “Rangers” are looked down upon from time to time by true locals. Rangers are little by little taking the resources that support our way of life. We fully realize that our small communitie(s) cannot compete with the dollars that the Front Range machine can generate and too many times we are seen as simply a place to recreate for a couple of weekends a year or a place to steal natural reasources from. Now I know that some of you are good little “Rangers” but you are in the vast minority of total people down there and when looking at the entire picture I realize that my rant will not get to many of the people that I am talking about.

So in my opinion “Rangers” need to take some leads from the Texans and I have to agree with waynechorter that most “Rangers” are closer to “Texans” than they would like to admit.
A-MEN, reverend!!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #27
You guys must be bored, having a conversation on a three-year-old post and all. Isn't there something else, more 2007 going on?

Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote