Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-19-2004   #11
pnw, Washington
Hey RDNEK, pretty funny. It's an interesting story but I would like for you to clear up some things for me. From your story am I to assume that all people who live in the mountains are somehow gifted with the mountain spirit? I mean do all those hollywood types in Aspen fit in, are they locals? I mean they do live in the mountains so they must be gifted, right? Those people that live in Vail and Steamboat and some of them in Summit County they must have the mountain gift as well, right?
You have just described every urban vs rural scenario I have ever heard. The rural people are happy with were they live and hate the urban people crowding their streets on the weekends but love to take their money. I have lived in both environments and both have their dummy's. Due to the amount of people in the urban environment we will generally have more of them. As far as trying to fit in with the locals, come on give me a break.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #12
to add to this little battle of the urban vs mtns........

We all want to live the good life way up in the mtns. Except when you get sick and need a hospital, then we all wish we were closer to the urban health care. Or, you want to live in Summit County but your job depends on the touroids, rangers, or whoever your customers are.

It's a ying-yang thang........we're all part of the same coin whether you live on one side or the other and you can't be one w/o the other....or something like that.

tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You people need to read the post by Mountainbuns and think about what is really important.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #14
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
hmmm what is importantr?

A job

Raising your kid (psssssst, it's not all that painful, plus you get to relive your childhood)

Water to drink and paddle in (make sure it's upstream from the chicken farms/ranches in Arkansas...sorry Tommy, I had to get that in)

Cold Beer

Pizza (cold or hot)

A wife or GF who understands disappearing with your mistress means you're on the river[/b]
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Man I hope this storm brings some good snow so I don't have to read these stupid ass rants anymore. Stop worrying about where people are from and just do your thing. Or, go back to high school.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Don't make sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people.
That's pure ignorance - it's the same thought process that leads to racism.
Just because a person is from Texas doesn't mean they belong to the NRA.
Just because a person is from Denver doesn't mean they drive a huge SUV and think they're better than "Texans"
Just because a person is African-American doesn't mean they're in a gang.
Get the idea? : Don't stereotype. Don't stereotype Texans, don't stereotype people that live in Colorado Springs and don't stereotype people that live in the mountains.
Get a clue.[/b]
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #17
The next zone, .

I am just poking a bit of fun out at you “rangers” so don’t get all bent out of shape or take it to personal urban vs. Rural is a never ending debate. Yes we are a deeper shade of Red up here and Gh between you and me we probably have more ignorance up here than down on the Front Range. As Far as the “mountain spirit” you talk about well I was told by an “old timer” that it was best found at the bottom of a bottle of whiskey. Gb you might disagree but Aspen is one of the best examples of a “local” mountain community. The only problem is that you need 7 figures or had to start in about 1930 to get in but live there for a couple of years and you will know what I mean.

The point that I was attempting to make earlier could be stated by “your actions speak so loudly that I cannot hear a word that you are sayin”. If you live on the Front Range you are supporting the policies, politicians, and the TAX BASE that is very detrimental to many rivers up here. Even if you have the best motives as many of my Front Range friends have - livin in the Front Range still supports these policies and all “rangers” are contributing to the machine that constantly is sucking the water from the mountains and takin it to the Front Range. So it is at least in part where you are from (or call home) and not just were you are at (or your mind set).
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #18
pnw, Washington
I understood the poking of fun and was just trying to hand some back but I still think you are trying to make a point. You don't use any less water than I do. You just take it out at a different point and I might point out that you pollute it as well and you do it in the Mountains while I do it at a place that no one seems to care about from a beauty standpoint. The more people that live your lifestyle, the more the places I love to go are polluted. As Tomcat said, two sides to every coin.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004   #19
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
If you live in BV then you must profit in some way from the front range (you either work at the jail or you profit from rafters). If you're profiting from the front range, then by your tax base argument, you're supporting front range policies. I sure am glad that you don't represent even a small part of what all other locals think.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004   #20
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
now wait a minute

I ain't from Texas all y'all (I learned how to say that down there properly), but I do belong to the NRA, Republican Party, etc etc... nothing like toting a gun in the old kayak, y'all know what I mean? It comes in real handy for them pesky fishermen/women/folk. Oh yeah... I used to live on the front range about 3 years ago and I drive an SUV too...well... a wannabe SUV (kia sportage)....

On a serious note... There are no places left that do not have some form of pollution going on, be it man-made or nature-made. Tourists bring money to support our economy, like it or not...we need them all over this state, whether they're from Colorado or BFE.

Water is an age-old issue here in the west. Everybody wants it, most simply waste it for the most part. I have a crazy idea though. why can't we have a pipeline from the Missisippi River to here? Last time I flew over that river, it occurred to me there is an awful lot of water heading out into the gulf. They build pipelines to transit NG and Oil.... why not water from somewhere it's just going to waste? The Alaskan Pipeline pumps 1,004,000 bbls of oil a day.

Translate into water and you are talking: 42,168,000 gallons of water.. that's a lot of water... something to think about.

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote