Old 12-15-2005   #1
Tensleep Creek

Has anyone here ever run Tensleep Creek in Wyoming. I see on AW that its rated class 5+. I seen it once during early summer but have never paddled it. Looks interesting, and fun. Although it looks more like a class 4+, judging by the short stretch of riverbed I saw. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

grungeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #2
Cody, Wyoming
It's class 5+ and at it's steepest mile it drops 712 feet, this is for the section above the swithcbacks. You can look at past posts about Ten Sleep creek for more detailed info. It's a non stop boulder garden with horizon line after horizon line, no pictures or video can do it justice but here's some video at 11 inches on the rock gauge which would be class 5 and a good level for someone who has never run it.

Aaron Mulkey

COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Cool-looking creek- like the Source or maybe SSV. Also, nice job on splicing in the Thievery Corp. - a nice departure from the usual punk assortment....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005   #4
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

That is a really Great video. I have to say that looks like some of the funnest stuff anywhere near Colorado. But BUSY BUSY BUSY... It also looks like safety might be tough to set as well.

Glad to see that all worked out well with you becoming our newest Jackson Kayak only SUPERSTORE!! Congrats!

I am off to Africa next week, but will check in on you when I get back at the end of January.

Later bro!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #5
I did some of the part above the switchbacks where the river leaves the road = about a mile of road-side bee-bopin' good time. I put on about half a mile up from where the road crosses from river right downstream to river left upstream, and paddled down about an equal distance past the bridge where the creek was still close enough to walk back out fairly easily. Mostly read-and-run continuous boogie-- no drop over 3', but no flatwater to be found anywhere. I'd love to go back with a good crew and paddle all the way to where the road comes back down to the river.
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #6
Thanks for the replies

That is an awesome video. Now if I can ever bust out of the midwest, I would love to paddle that.

So Aaron, for the first time you paddled there did you do any shore scout or is it all read and run.
Old 12-20-2005   #7
old posts?

How do I find the old posts on the subject?

The nearly roadside section I did was all read & run- no scouting, but wood can come up on you real fast.

One other Q: where's the gague?

cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005   #8
at the top of this page click on "search" and I think the rest is self explanatory. type in 'tensleep' not 'tensleep creek'
Old 12-21-2005   #9

I ran Tensleep with the South Dakota crew who pioneered most of that little run (the late, great Todd Andrew and Dan Crain. LTP!!) I really enjoyed it and that canyon is pretty cool, even with the road running down it. I think we did the first-D on a section above the bridge/gauge that day, then continued down several more miles to a NFS campground closer to Tensleep town. It was a fun run even though, like was said above, there is no drop more than a few feet high. Continuous, but usually an eddy somewhere when you needed one. We had a decent time at some biker-dive-type bar in Tensleep afterward.

Aaron, thanks for the footy. It was cool to see the "LTP" at the top of the gauge at the begining of the vid.

Gordon Dalton
GDalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #10
With these long winter nights I spend some time reading old issues of AW to research for an upcoming creek trip to the Sierras. Last night I happened across your articles on the Bighorn Creeks, I remember reading a few years back piquing my interest in the Tensleep. (march and may of '03) Thanks for some very nice articles Gordon.