Old 03-11-2010   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The ocoee is a lot of fun. Even with the crowds, its worth it. There may be better times of day to put in to avoid the mass launch, I'm not sure when that is though. Also there is an upper section that doesn't run as much that is a a bit harder than the lower section. Tons of info on these runs on AW.

Tellico and the Little are classics in the smokies. Depending on what difficulty you are looking for, these could be great. The main tellico run has lots of ledges and one of the easiest 15ft waterfalls there is. I'd run it in a ducky! If you want more class III, I think there are runs adjacent or close that are a bit mellower.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Yeah, I saw a guy run the 15 footer on the tellico standing up in a ducky. Fun stuff.

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #13
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Well I might not drop in a ducky it just because Jeff Snyder does. I'll probably plan on boating class 3 in the duck since I'll be rolling with strangers, I swim from the duck and the east is undercut, and it'll be my first time down whatever it is. I'll call the clubs though. I might try to paddle two rivers in the one day I have, or at least do a longer trip with an easy shuttle. Where can I paddle 10 miles of class 3 near the road out there?

I was going to bring my mandolin to Tennessee, but it looks like it'll be the ducky instead.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #14
Bugtussle, Kentucky
10 miles will be tough, but running the Little River in the Smokies from Elkmont all the way to the Elbow would give you lots of class II-III+. I'd sneak or walk the Sinks if you're in a ducky.
Tellico River from the upper Ledges section all the way down to Tellico Plains if you wanted...class II-III+.
Both are scenic and very fun.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #15
albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2
A few the members in chota paddles a duck.

If you can hook up with some locals you could also try a run on clear creek(jett to lilly) or the obed, but those are not roadside.

If the little is in it will be worth the drive. It was my my regular after work or the last 2 years. Hitch-ability is okay during sunny weekend winter days due to the many tourists, just in case you plan on solo run.

You can run it lower than 2.6 on the gauge, I'd say 2.4 is the cut off but I have run it as low as 1.8 and still had good time.
American Whitewater - NWRI - Little 3. Elbow to the 'Y' (Townsend)

Post in the trip planner on boater talk, a lot of the knoxville boaters use that forum.

eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote