Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-15-2006   #1
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Tenmile Creek...Copper Mtn to Frisco Beta Needed

Hello to everybody on the buzz...

Looking to hit Tenmile Creek in the next couple of days...been wanting to for two weeks now, but that's life. Anyhow, I've never paddled it and can't seem to get any beta from the fellas (and gals) around town. My questions include: is ~500cfs a good flow? Is the first part below Copper actually class V? Other than the footbridge in CRC2, is there anything gnarl to know about... and finally, is it worth the drive (worth lapping?).

Thanks for the help...and paddle safe...plastic side down!

swollenmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
500 is a good flow to fill in the river for the bottom section, still shallow and lots of rocks, but it all boats fine. More water is better, right side up is better, major rock action if you flip. As for the top section, I haven't run it, but its super easy to take a look at it, theres a path along the river the entire way. From what I saw it looked steeper than the lower section, but generally continous gradient without many "defined drops". The only bummer is the bridge that separates the two sections. It goes through culverts that looked impassable to me. Scout your takeout eddy to portage the bridge. I'd just go up and look at it. Its on the way to alot of other stuff and you can bail if you don't like the looks of it, and not be too far out of your way.

Have fun.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #3
Upper tenmile

The upper tenmile is definitely steeper than the lower. It's also continuous, with few to no eddies so definitely scout the entire run (can be done from the bike path pretty easily and quickly). The upper does offer class V consequences due to the steep, continuous, and rocky creek bed. I wouldn't want to swim it. About halfway down there is creek wide log pourover (man-made) that is worth scouting. The bridge at Officers Gulch can be run at certain levels. At 500, take a look at the left side as the right gets pushy into the right bridge abuttment.

Also, don't try to park at the putin below the ponds along I-70. Heavily patrolled and instant ticket. Drop your gear at the putin & then have someone park the rig at Officers Gulch and hoofit back up. At 500, it should be a fun run all the way to Frisco.

Be safe and look at all of it before hopping in.
downriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #4
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

swollenmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #5
My buddy and I ran that last weekend at about 600 if I remember right. I'd call the top a V-. We scouted from the bridge up and I was thinking that it looked like a piece of cake and wished I had my playboat. When we put on it I was glad I had the creeker and I would not want to be upside down. I was working hard to be on lines I wanted. There are barely any eddies and it would be challenging to roll if you went over. It's pretty narrow for that much water.
That said, the top is damn fun. We were both winded the three times we stopped. I got sideways right before the bridge, trying to hit it on the left side, and almost went over, and that forced my buddy to go into the bridge right hand side and backward. He went through with no issues and we laughed our asses off on the other side. Have fun.

thorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #6
Vail, Colorado
A few friends and I ran it not too long ago. The upper, as mentioned in response, is much more of a steeper gradient and presents some difficult terrain. The whole thing is rocky and not worth any kind of swim lesson. The bridge between the two @ officer's gultch to me is not worth any effort to pass it. Portage if you can, you can even drop the bridge on the other side. Just be careful and scout it. If you haven't ran it before scout the whole thing, run the lower part and see how you fair adn then loop it and run the upper part if you feel you are ready. Good luck!

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome."
-Steve Zissou
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #7
Denver, Colorado
Yes, the upper Ten mile is super fun. My bud and I ran it a couple times this past weekend at around 550cfs I think. It is fast, in fact a yaker friend was riding her bike up the path and saw us at the top of the action, she rode down to officers gulch to watch our run and said that it took 9 minutes. So at about .5 or .6 miles in length, you are moving at roughly 20mph, but that time includes three eddies stops to catch a breath. Laps on the upper are definetly recommended if your up for it.

crae is offline   Reply With Quote