Old 05-15-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Temporary play wave creation?

I've got this idea in my head that there could be a way to create a temporary play wave on a class II riffle by using pieces of wood to create a small dam like feature to pool up the shoreline, and funnel current through the center creating a small surf wave. I've been trying to think up an easy and temporary way to install something like this.

I know people move around rocks to make play features, but for a small creek running ~ 300 cfs, it would be hard to move big enough rocks, and harder still to move them back once finished.

My goal is to figure out a way to easily anchor portable wooden structures to enable a play wave that would not make any permanent impacts to the river channel. I'm thinking something temporary, like show up, make your wave, surf it, take down the wave, and go home, with no significant impacts to the river channel. If done at low water, the rise in water level behind the wier would still be withing the main river channel, so flooding, or channel modification would not be an issue.

I was toying around with the idea of putting together a metal frame skeleton of a river wide wier structure, anchoring it to trees on the sides of the river and then putting pieces of plywood over the metal frame to create a temporary dam / wier structure to funnel water to the center of the river. Anyone ever seen something like this or have any ideas how to do it effectively and cheap?

I am aware of legal and regulatory issues surrounding this, consider it hypothetical brainstorming at this point.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #2
Interesting idea, but I would find it hard to make a "good" playwave if it is possible to just throw this contraption into the river. I quote good because to some people if you can front surf it it's "good". If that is the standard of good then I think it could be done. To make real "good" you need high velocity, and I would think it would be hard to create that kind of environment with a temporary portable contraption.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote