Old 05-21-2014   #1
Taylor River Friday?

Anyone interested in running the Taylor River on Friday? I can meet about any time. I haven't been able to run it for a few years because flows have been meager. I would probably want to stick to the class III section and not do the upper harder IV section.

bgoogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #2
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The Taylor river is roaring for this time of year. If you haven't run it in many years please take lots of company. Flows are almost double from the dam and down at Almont forthis time of year. 1000 cfs. at Almont is pretty big and makes all the upper sections and even the middle much harder. We have a group of 6 riverrats from Montrose who kayak the Taylor at least 8 times, but wait till later in year when everything else is dead. Gotta catch the San Miquel, Crystal, Lake Fork of Gunny, and upper San Juan while flows are good. Give me jingle later in the year, 970-497-6512. We go mostly on Sundays but I can go anytime except this friday.

gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There is a good chance I am going to run over there Saturday morning with a couple paddlers from NM who have never seen it. 500 below the dam is nothing special, but 984 at Almont is respectable....when releases from the dam approach or pass 1000 things really get rocking.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Logan you'd better keep a good eye on the weather channel, calling for 40 - 50 % chance of thunderstorms. Am not sure that cottonwood is all that open yet. I might actually be coming over to your side of the mountain for Paddlefest, because you guys seem to miss the nasty weather when it comes thru. Let you know what we decide.

gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #5
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Gunnerman IM heading for paddlefest today at 3 or 4... staying through the weekend, planning to run browns primarily... maybe a numbers or royal gorge run... taking the mini max and a few buddies! maybe we can link up!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014   #6
Gunnerman, thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate that. I was trying to remember the levels I ran it at before and it seems more like 300 CFS or so late season, but I was confused because it is over 900 now and American Whitewater is still calling it 'lower runnable'. Is this just misinformation on the site?

I really enjoyed running it at the lower levels, so was thinking it would be fun to finally hit it with more water.

We just hit up the lower Numbers (put in just below 5) and Fractions/Frog Rock yesterday and it was super sweet!

I will be calling the Gunnison office to see if Cottonwood will be open in time...
Old 05-22-2014   #7
Cottonwood Pass opens 5.23.2014

Just a heads up, I called over to Gunnison Public Works and Cottonwood Pass will be opening tomorrow!

Contact info for road info:
Debbie Ferchau at 970-641-0044
Old 05-22-2014   #8
Logan, are you still thinking of heading over the pass to Taylor?