Old 01-26-2004   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Taylor River?

Has anyone boated the Taylor River. It is a dam release so it is good for late season boating. It is worth the trip up there or is it just for fishing? I know there is an upper and a lower that are both about a class III according to the "Bible". I thought it would make a good trip for my freind who is just leaning to paddle. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The Gunnison snowpack is looking strong!

cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #2
The Taylor is a great beginner, innermediate stretch. I really think it would be worth a drive to paddle it. Everything is road side with exception of Taylor Canyon class III, which has a lot of private land in between the putin and takeout. I think you could easily do bike shuttles up and down the road. When everything else is running high this spring, the Tayor will be at regular flows for a learning boater. Try the lower stretch before going up to Taylor Canyon.

cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004   #3
ski/kayak bum
The snow pack is good here.

The taylor was the first river I was ever on. Great beginner spot. It will be excessively cold. Talk to three rivers resort or scenic river for flow info and commercial launches. They can also guide you to put in and takeout (which is just about anywhere almont and beyond and some places before). The class III rating is probably pretty acurate except for a few things. Swims are long. Land owners are trouble some therefore using banks for portaging is out of the question. This is the same reason that swims are long. Last fall a landowner on the gunnison, which the taylor feeds pulled a gun on a raft trip. The water tends to be shallow, technical, and painful if you don't have a good brace stroke. Despite all of this it is a great place to learn. I didn't mean for this to be a scare tactic just mentioning some intangibles to watch out for. Any Gunnison, Crested Butte and Almont are all fun places to hang out. If you get up here check out the Gunny park and give me a shout on email
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I am definatly going to check out the Gunnison play park this summer. I have done the Gunny Gorge and Black Canyon, I was looking for a river for my buddy who is a new boater. I have never been to Crested Butte or Almont and want to check it out. Thanks for the info.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004   #5
Just my opinion but I would not take a beginner to either section on that river. I took a fairly new boater to the lower section this summer and it was a challenge for her. At lower flows, it is boney to say the least and it requires lots of maneuvering from side to side and all over the place. It's shallow and wide and not good for a beginner when they swim.

BTW, there is a new put in for the lower section about a mile below the old one. It's got johns and a ramp and lots of parking. I guess one of the land owners got this done so you don't boat through their property.

If you want something for someone that has never boated try the Animas town run down there... it'a a whole lot tamer. Maybe the Grizzly Creek to Glenwood run on the Colorado to. Great place to start and swimmer friendly.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote