Old 11-28-2010   #1
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Tatshenshini River

I'm fairly new to whitewater kayaking, (I started paddling on the Middle Fork of the Salmon with Mountain Travel Sobek in an inflatable during 2009.) Lately I have been interested in self supported trips, and have been curious about good class II to III trips with whitewater, as well as scenery and wildlife. I found one in Alaska- the Tat River. Is it possible to do a self supported trip with one double ducky, four singles, and a Jackson Little Hero, along with 6 people? Will we have to go ultralight to do this 11 day trip? Also, is the whitewater the right level for us, who are all at the same skill level as me? (Up to III+.) Any info on the river will also help.

JohnMuirJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #2
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Never Mind

Never mind. I realized that is is way too hard to plan for, and get the permit, and organize for the flight out, etc. Plus the expenses are very high.

Old 11-29-2010   #3
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Consider doing a trip closer to home. Low season on the Yampa is an awesome II-III self support run. Last August, my brother and I didn't even see another soul until we got to the Green. The San Juan might also be a good one to look at.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
John check out south fork of flathead, 27 mile hike, 47 miles river
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #5
Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Dear John,

My girlfriend and I have done self-support trips in our double ducks for the past three seasons. We are primarily class III paddlers and have great fun and success.

Check out the San Juan in south-east Utah as a nice trip for you and your group. Much of the trip is easy flatwater with only a few rapids (classed at III or under) This is the trip we have done most often. We did it last March in 8 days, just the two of us with two double Tributary Tomcat Tandems.

You can do most anything you set your mind to as far as packing goes, but the "backpacker" style trip is a good idea for self-support.

Even the colorado from Cisco down to take-out beach would be a fun class II/III run at any level and could be an intro trip to get used to loading and packing your rigs.

Get some experience, get out there and have fun.

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010   #6
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
After a while I kind of realized that the Tat costs way too much and is too hard to get to from where I live. Thanks for your advice about self support trips though, it'll be useful on other rivers. Our friends also applied for a permit for the Mexican Hat on the San Juan, so we might be able to run it this upcoming year.
Old 11-29-2010   #7
Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote

kayaking, overnight, river, self support, tatshenshini river