Old 01-27-2008   #11
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't agree with the project, but is is going to go through the NEPA process. Meaning and environmental impact statement is going to be produced. This is where you have chance to give input at public meetings. Maybe the place can be left better than it was.

EIS conrtact award: Jan. 2008
Draft complete: Dec. 2008

There are 337 pages of public comments already.

andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
What is really the point of this project? Art is cool ,but the venue is queer,wierd art might fly in artsy fartsy NYC ,why Salida? It's like it is for Cristo not the audience,nobody on the ARK gives a positive crap.It may generate some economic benefit from Denver and TAOS/SANTA FE looky loos and it's good they are trying to be environmentally responsible but WTF!!!guess I DON'T GET IT.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #13
pnw, Washington
Dont get me wrong. I dont get it but I am not an artsy fartsy kinda guy. Just trying to have an open mind.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #14
C. Springs, Colorado
Thanks for the link Andy. The way the comments are broken up are confusing. How many comments are from each person? Who made the comments and are they taken out of context........or are they truely stand alone? I've made comments before........which ones might be mine? More than likely.........none.

Right now I'm thinking about the 1000 or so anchors .............3" to 10" in diameter holes.......drilled to unknown depths..................... along each side of the river...............................removed....... ..color matched with morter? to show know sign they were ever know...........the way it was before the placement of 2000 plus.........anchors.....25' to 35' long was this going to take???
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #15
maybe they could turn those tracks in to a rails-to-trails when there done. Otherwise, as a 5th year guide down there i think the idea is HORSE-S#!T
willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #16
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
people who are immediately against this are showing their ignorance. it will cause no environmental damage and when it is over, actual environmental good will have taken place due to the clean-up. it's one thing to not be into a certain type of art, and that's okay, but let's look at the real issues here. whenever you have something that is good for a local economy while also being good for the environment, it is a no-brainer in my opinion.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #17
I love the dichotomy of this site............ People are all for tailing's ponds above a significant watershed but if someone hangs sheets above a river they are gonna go off wolverine style! Yada Yada Yada bleeding heart liberals, yada yada yada hippy crap, yada yada yada artsy fartsy. I remember reading about interlaced bras stretched across a span, better idea in my pigheaded world............ Would you like to tie me up with some of your tie's tye?
sandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #18
C. Springs, Colorado
it will cause no environmental damage and when it is over.
That's why I'm trying to visualize a drilling machine of some sorts, going down both banks of the river, drilling holes for 5.9 miles every 25' to 35'. In fact...........The more I think about it.................I'm sure the drill rig will be small and put out no emissions or tailings or anything like that..... They'll probably be discrete about it and not step on the shrubbery and plants that grow between the train tracks and the river bank holes they are making. There shouldn't be any harm or impact from moving their drilling rig from hole to hole. They'll be back in a couple of years with a machine to remove and fill the holes like they were never there in the first place. It will erase all the tracks and dust off the vegatation. Kind of fluff it up and make it all pretty again. For all we's a pocket sized drill rig and will cause no more damage than normal foot traffic would. Does foot traffic cause damage??? What if it's concentrated by 250,000 people in a two week to one month period?? ('s low water and I like the admins of this site........I'm just thinking out loud here and all ).

OK, the holes will eventually help the economy and not cause any traffic problems, for the year before and the year after the 5.9 miles the tarps........I mean ART.......... is in place. In the end.......we'll never know they were there......... and everyones happy because people made money and the local economy......was boosted. are they going to get these 1000+ cables across the river? Surely they won't drag them through the river during the spring time. That might stir up the bottom where the fish are and scare them out of where they like to lay their eggs...........naw,........they'll just toss them across while nobody is using that stretch of the river. Maybe at night or during the week when nobody floats that stretch or float fishes that section of river......I doubt the fishing is that good through that stretch anyways. Once the river starts going up.......the fishing dies off ......there are only small rapids around there we can afford to avoid.....and the local economy will be boosted.

Besides........what harm can stretching 1000+ cables across a river cause?? It say's there are going to be a minimum of 8' above the river ...........and they are installing them from April to July or August.........The water level doesn't change that much during that time of year for that 5.9 mile stretch..........does it?? .........Surely this artist would know to put his anchors and cables at least 8' above the high water mark....right?? No Harm there I'm guessing. We'll be able to float under problem.

I doubt many animals use that stretch to drink from. They shouldn't mind the activity. Surely they'll be happy because it will help their watering hole in the end..........and help clean up the river banks too.

People are all for tailing's ponds above a significant watershed but if someone hangs sheets above a river they are gonna go off wolverine style!
Where are these tailing ponds at? Is there any karst in the area? Maybe I could help your cause. I belong to the Colorado Cave Survey and we are currently working with the BLM to get Deep Creek Canyon reclassified as a Wild and Scenic River to help prevent future development and mineral extraction from the Flat Tops. This could include tailing ponds as you suggest.

Does anyone remember when this artist put the orange curtain up across Rifle Gap?? I was planning to go see it........but the wind took it down before I got up there.

The section of the Ark is sandwiched between US Highway 50 and a railroad track, both of which have pretty much already destoryed the natural river banks.
For some reason I remember there being some nice rock formations and swimming holes through this stretch. I'm afraid this will include areas that aren't just river bank on one side and road on the other.

I like this comment............ as it sums it up pretty good.

Is that like beating the shit out of someone, but promising to pay the hospital bill first?
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #19
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
yawn...are we going to do this again?

Why don't we wait until the EIS comes out and have an intelligent conversation about this issue? (oh yeah, cause this is the internet)

The knee jerk opposition to this issue has not changed in either content or character since 1996...
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #20
Denver, Colorado

Yeah, the buzz has been slow lately. Good one to dredge up. I haven't heard anything but am looking forward to floating through that thing way altered. I'd better unfold the topoduo. Still July/Aug 08?

You with me BS? I'll supply the intoxicants.

Quote from BSOE, 8/4/2005 -
"I'm jazzed for '08, though, baby. I'm gonna wear a sheet with eye holes like a ghost and be living, moving ART! Then my genius will be recognized internationally! Gosh, it's hard to type with this sheet over my computer...but I can't help it I'm addicted to ART! And PSYCHED!"

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote