Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1990
well said.

Ranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #42
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Dave, your highsiding skills were top notch. I bet you guys could have kept that boat up right for a long time! Every boater messes up and picks wrong lines, we are all human. Thank you for being a subject and a victim for all of us to learn from. I am glad everything worked out well in the end.

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #43
Talkeetna, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2013
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I am glad everything worked out well in the end.
Originally Posted by OregonianRG View Post
His passenger ruptured his spleen ( not bad enough to fly him out). He also dislocated his lower floating rib. The doctor put it back in place. He broke two other ribs and bruised his kidney and I think his pancreas. When he started shitting blood at camp we got a bit worried, but that was brief. His stomach did not get extended or swell up much. We wrapped him with plastic wrap, which he wore the rest of the trip. I think that helped alot.
Worked out well? Not a position I would want to be in.
Wyldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #44
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Came home my book that's good.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #45
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've been thinking about this incident and thread a bit over the last day. I appreciate sharing it for discussion and especially those that were in the group, and the rower.

My take is that if I were in that situation I'm pretty sure I would NOT wanted to have the videographer's group throw me a rope. I am a bit rope-phobic. If a rope is deployed, I strongly think that it better be from someone that is practiced, and to someone that is prepared and ready. I would not want a rope thrown to me by a knucklehead, perhaps getting it caught on something or someone, having the boat spin, and then wrapping it around. If that were a person, it could be disastrous. Even the risk to the thrower is great if they don't have a clue what they are doing. Then there is the loose rope in the river potential. Yikes.

In the end, I think the videographer's group made the right choice. They, even if unintentionally, followed the first rule of rescuers which is to do not harm and not create another victim. Yes it was a hard surf and the people were getting worked and it sounds like hurt quite bad, not fun for those involved whether the people in their boat or their friends. But they were still above water and not in danger of immediate drowning. Yes it would have been great to have someone be a hero like in the other video, but personally that also seems overly risky to me.

Good thing for everyone it worked out in the end. A ruptured spleen kills and it's amazing that the guy ended up fine. I would have flown him out, but it's easy to say that now with the tiniest bit of information sitting at my computer.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #46
Golden, Colorado
This may be a crazy idea but I'd like to get peoples take on it. What about the idea of taking the bowline and jumping off the downstream side of the boat. If you could hold on the rope you just might pull the boat out.

Also what cause the injurys to the passenger. Hitting rocks in the river or trauma while on the boat?
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #47
Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
our group was on the river at about the same time and met all of these guys at the ramp taking it, all were in good spirits. They told us their story and i'd been checking youtube ever since to see the vid. Anyway, i will say this...

I think this happens at Tappan Falls on a semi regular basis. The guide book i have shows a boat surfing the hole, there is that excellent superman video previously posted, there is this video, and i know my friends had the exact same thing happen to them.

They in fact surfed long enough for multiple people farry over to the right hand side on the river (video side), walk all the way, and make multiple tosses with throw bags (10ish) before they finally landed one. Once they landed one I've been told they pulled the boat right out. The throw from the side of the river the videographer is on is a significantly easier toss, really not that far at all. If i were there i would have been running up to toss a rope and if i were in that situation i would wish someone would be doing the same for me. But that's just me...everyone survived so i guess it all worked out.
skiersteve3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #48
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I know that some of you will not like this but this is also the perfect pickle to carry and deploy a canvas sea anchor on a short rope. Could have saved the flip.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #49
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
I'm sure you're not the only son of a bitch here, but yeah, I always thought maytag meant the boat was rolling, not just spinning. That is a classic surf. "Maytag" got attached to the video by the guy who filmed it and posted, and said the word about 50 times during the course of the vid.
Totally want this dude to handle VoiceOver during post production of my next river journey video
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013   #50
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
sea anchor

Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
I know that some of you will not like this but this is also the perfect pickle to carry and deploy a canvas sea anchor on a short rope. Could have saved the flip.
I don't think a live body jumping in the water holding a rope would be a good option. As you can see at the end of the downstream video, Dave was getting pulled under in the relatively calm water when he was holding the throw rope, despite trying to get onto his back.

Another member of our party and I were talking about it this weekend after watching the video and discussed the idea of a "drift sock" or sea anchor. IF they were able to get it out, rigged and deployed downstream, which would have been very tough while getting chundered in that hole, I think it could have done the trick. All theoretical of course, and full of lots of ifs (including having a drift sock on the boat).

Our group's next move was to ferry someone across to hike upstream river right and attempt a throw if the surf had continued even longer. The dilemma was that we thought the boat was going to flip and put us in swimmer rescue and boat recovery mode at any second, which made us reluctant to get someone out of position to help when it finally happened. Plus, there were already people in that ideal throw position to help; the film crew party.

As it worked out post-flip, a throw from river left got Dave, the gray boat got John, and the green and tan boats were able to capture the flipped boat before it got to Cove Creek Rapid. I'm not sure we would have been able to get it ashore and secured with only one boat/one person, so we ended up being in the right places when it did finally pop out of the hole.

As for the fly out, yeah, in hindsight, would have been better. We had the whole plan in place for flying John out the next morning. By the time the blood in the poo became group knowledge it was already dark, so even though we had a sat phone it was too late to get help that night. The next morning he told us the bleeding was done and he was ready to finish the trip, so we respected his request. He really is one incredibly tough dude. I'm sure I would have been beggin to get flown out after his ordeal and injuries.

Great discussion.

Good to see you on here Captain Tappan!

Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote