Old 04-12-2004   #1
Taos Box 23-25 April

Gotta be in Albuquerque for business Thur 22 April. Anyone doing the Upper Taos Box that friday/weekend? I will be driving or flying from Austin 21 April.

I cannot seem to put my hands on the guidebook--is my EZ sufficient or do I need the creekboat? The AW site says the shuttle takes forever. Any advice on that score?

AnthonyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #2
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
good luck on flows, the upper box should be dried up by then, looks like it's below 400 and dropping. It's not really worth it below 300. If you do go paddle a creek boat. As far as the upper box, the shuttle is a breeze, the road parrallels the canyon rim. It's the hike back up to your car at the takeout that is a bitch... Turn off the main highway at the big brown Rio Grande Wild and Scenic River sign north of Questa, and drive about 6 or 7 miles to get to the putin(Chiflo Trail), then another 6 or 7 miles to the takeout(Little Arsenic Trail, this is where you want to camp).

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #3
Abuquerque local play

If you want to check out the local ditch playspot in town let me know and I can probably go down there with you after work. We generally don't run the box when it is below 800. The water should come up again when the high altitude snow starts to melt so keep an eye on the guage.
WD7Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004   #4
thanks for the feedback

Looks like I need to do a rain/snow melt dance before this run. I will hold my breath a few more days before calling it off.
Old 04-19-2004   #5
rain/snowmelt dance is not enough

With the water coming up but iffy, I have decided to work Friday instead of play. This means everyone else will have water now, so get out there and boat.