Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-07-2004   #1
Take part in Bioblitz biodiversity survey/education 6/25-26

Dear environmentally-minded kayakers,

In my non-kayaking time I am an aquatic ecologist and I am leading the "Fish Team" for a Grasslands Bioblitz - a 24 hour survey of biodiversity between Boulder and Golden, on June 25 - 26 (noon friday to noon saturday). The purpose of the Bioblitz is to survey biodiversity, and to educate the public about local ecosystems. More information on the Bioblitz can be found at http://www.grasslands-bioblitz.org/

During the 24-hr Bioblitz there will be a scientists workroom, talks on local flora and fauna, and interpretive walks, all open to the public. Should be a great way to become more informed and also to interest your kids in the environment.

I am putting together a team to survey fish, and I am looking for a few eager volunteers. We will survey 3-4 low-gradient creek sites (electrofishing) and 2 pond sites (seining and possibly gill-netting). If you are interested in joining our team, please let me know ASAP by emailing me. You don't need prior experience, we will teach you the field methods and most likely can provide waders and boots. You do need to show up if you say you will (Fri pm 6/25 ~noon-6 and/or Sat am 6/26 ~7:30 - noon).

Hope some of you come check it out!

Claire McGrath
Center for Limnology - University of Colorado
mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On