Old 07-28-2010   #11
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There is a clear reason why The Toyota Tacoma is one of the most popular trucks on the road. Probably dozens actually! Several reasons why the Nissan is cheaper (notice I didn't say less expensive). Test drive one and decide...

hkbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #12
OlyPen, Washington
Originally Posted by hkbeliever View Post
There is a clear reason why The Toyota Tacoma is one of the most popular trucks on the road. Probably dozens actually! Several reasons why the Nissan is cheaper (notice I didn't say less expensive). Test drive one and decide...
I test drove both Frontier and Tacoma twice each, on different days. First drove the Tacoma, which I liked but noticed several problems with the truck right off. When I tested the Frontier, I made up my mind in the first few minutes. Drove each a second time to be absolutely sure, as I had originally been biased in favor of Toyota.

A lot of preference is subjective, of course. But more than 5 years later, I'm still glad I chose the Frontier.

The OP needs to test drive not only each make/model, but different trucks of the same model, because used condition could vary a lot between trucks.

H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by H2UhOh View Post
My Frontier has aluminum tie-down rails and cleats, and those are GREAT when carrying loads.
These are nice. I wasn't impressed with them when I was first looking at them, but I end up using them a lot.

Originally Posted by hkbeliever View Post
This is purely your opinion. My cousin has been a Toyota salesman for decades and currently manages a Toyota dealer repair shop in Utah; and has had a stint at a Nissan dealership too. He told me the Frontiers and Tacomas were a tossup when it comes to reliability. And you can check Consumer Reports for owner-reported problems and satisfaction - They're pretty much the same when it comes to Tacomas and Frontiers; Tacomas sell more probably because they've been around longer.

For what it's worth, the Tacoma is a better looking truck. But the $4000 differential in price wasn't worth looking good.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #14
Colorado Plateau Metropolis, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I bought my 96 4 cyl Tacoma with 9 years ago with 85K on it, and just passed 222K. The truck gave me very little problems, and I still drive it as a daily driver, and whenever I am loading up a bunch of camping stuff.
I bought a 2000 4runner, since I have a 9 year old girl that was getting too big for the extended cab, but we still usually take the tacoma for trips.

I had a 81 Nissan Datsun when I was younger and bought it before I realized that the floor boards were rusted out, and multiple other issues. Fixed it up had it for a summer before I drove it over the top of the Manti-La sal mountains and through the San Rafael Desert, before I cracked two cylinders 10 miles North of Green River.

To me the few extra thousand dollars for the Toyota name is worth it. Although everything after 2004 has been so improved that the gas mileage sucks, and the body has been inflated too big.

If you buy a Tacoma get something before 2005
portercassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #15
Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
I was looking for a Toyota, 100k miles, 10g's they weren't out there when I looked, they were all too expensive. I went with a new 2008 frontier instead of a used Toyota, love it, has 40k miles on it now with no problems, 4wd works great, more horse power,and torque than a Toyota. Almost the same exact truck, better drive train DANA 44 rear axle, tons of after market parts like Toyota, same gas mileage, about 10 k less also, drive them both, you'll see the power difference and love the price a lot more... NISSAN!
relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #16
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Nissan's are more comfortable on the road and have a beefier engine (6,500 lbs towing capacity.) I like the looks of the Tacoma's slightly more, but for the difference in price and financing, it was a no-brainer for me to go with the Nissan. Both are good trucks. I had a previous generation Tacoma for awhile and it was super reliable, but I have known some people having issues with the new models. Nothing crazy, but they don't seem to be as bomber as the older Tacoma's. Either truck would be a good purchase, but I wouldn't go near the Dodge.
nervouswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #17
Golden, Colorado
Had a Nissan 4-door Frontier before having to upgrade to a F-150 for towing torque and more interior room for the family. I had a Toyota pickup prior to the Frontier. When it came time to repace my Toyota I test drove the Frontier and Tacoma on multiple occasions and did all the research. The Frontier is way better euiquiped for the money and drove way nicer. The biggest difference I noticed was the Toyota seemed to be more off-road capable while the Nissan drove alot nicer on the roads and highways. The Frontier is awesome on snow-packed roads at highway speeds while my old Toyota was super-sketch. But I wouldn't take the Frontier into some of the areas I took my Toyota 4-wheeling.

I do wish my F-150 would have come with all the nice tie-downs, bed liner, and storage compartments that the Frontier had.

I am glad to see Toyota get knocked down a few rungs. They were way to proud of their shit for no good reason other than their history. When buying a car for my wife we test drove the Highlader and compared it to the Chevy Traverse and Ford Flex. No comparison. In intial quility, the highlander is an overpriced piece of crap compared to the American cars (first time we ever even considered buying American). We'll see how the American cars fare over the long-run, but based on what Consumer Reports says, I'm not expecting them to be too bad.

My wife has a '95 Nissan Pathfinder that is still going strong with 180,000 miles on it. Some things are better than my old Toyota that had 180,000 miles on and some things are worse. Mechanically they are about the same. No major problems on either with a few more minor problems on the Toyota. The Nissan leaves alot of rust stains on the driveway and the weather stripping is falling off. The seats on the Nissan are still very comfortable while the Toyotas gave up the fight long ago.

And the most important thing, the Nissan easily crossed the Slate at OBJ numerous times without incident. The Toyota got hydro-locked on it's first attempt.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #18
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
Nissan parts are significantly more expensive, yotas are overpriced and tend to need new leafsprings at about the same time they need new timing chains. I wouldn't touch the dodge-had a brand new one for work in 2005 and it was a piece-very poorly designed and laid out. I have a 06 chevy colorado and it is a pretty nice truck. Mine gets btwn 17 and 24 mpg and I think is the last of the small trucks to have a 4cyl option. That being said I got the 4cyl for better gas mileage and that was a big mistake! I get 24 on the highway but 17-19 around town, and towing on hills, can you say "mmm, gotta love that burnt clutch smell"! It is a great truck but I wish I had got a v6. It was also the cheapest 4wd pickup on the market. I had a number of issues and recalls in the first 20k, all of which were taken care of under warranty(with some persuasion) and haven't had an issue since. If you see one cheap don't count it out. But all that aside, I would look for an 00-04 tacoma, as they seem to be pretty bombproof, other than the rear springs going bad on some of them.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #19
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I thought of a few more things that favor the toyota and one I'm starting to think I don't like. My 07 Frontier has had an electrical issue since it was about 1,000 out of warranty. It occasionally goes on the fritz and surges with gauges going crazy. I was in Laredo, TX when it started and the dealer there said it was the computer. It was on back order and it would be ten days before they could get it...well I wasn't going to stay in Laredo for ten days! I chanced it and drove it back to Durango and they said it was a fuse. isn't a damn fuse and it's continued to do it sporadically (like once every 10-15 thousand miles).

The ground clearance blows on the newer Nissans and the yotas have great clearance. This makes a big difference to me.

The seats on the newer toyotas seem to be too narrow for me to remain comfortable on long trips. The Nissan has nice seats.

Another that favors the Nissan....less room in the extended cab portion but more comfort. The toyotas seats in the extended cab are a joke...a bench across would be sweet.

Overall, I've had great luck with the 3 Nissan trucks I've owned and I even had a couple sentras back in the day that were had Parkinson's and squeeked like hell. I like my new Tacoma though.
Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010   #20
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
O yeah...The power on the new Frontiers is outstanding. The Tacoma gets the job done.

Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote