Paddling Since: 1876
Originally Posted by oarframe View Post
Here's one that probably looks like what the OP saw
well that was pathetic.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #12
Colorado Plateau Metropolis, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I think that guy in the video did that on purpose..... He went straight for it!

The canoe was in the rocks closer to the video shooter. All the canoes ran the sneek to the left.

I will try to get some pics tomarrow

portercassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #13
Colorado Plateau Metropolis, Colorado
Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swampped.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	2955  
portercassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010   #14
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1976
Well - That would be my canoe you see stuck in Gov't rapid. I talked to the BLM ranger down there last week - he said it ain't there any more. Guess the big flush from all the rain they had washed it away. But at the water level above (~800-900 cfs) it was about as stuck as you can get. We tried a z-drag from both sides and couldn't budge it. So now I'm considering another trip down to look for it. The ranger thinks it might even be in Lake Powell, having gone over the waterfall. Thanks for the pic.
BoatlessInSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Sounds like a gauge issue... In July, it rained like mad and the canyon flashed everywhere, including Oljeto where we camped. It wasn't that serious for us on higher ground, but it was beautiful and incredible to see. If it jumped 2000 in 2 days, it has to be a release or a gauge problem.

I was actually on the San Juan a couple weeks ago and it started at to rain very hard (even saw some pea sized hail). It only rained for about 20 mibnutes and then moved on up the canyon. AFter and during the storm waterfalls were falling down off of all the cliffs and adding lots of water to the river. We got to camp shortly thereafter and that evening and overnight we saw the river swell from 800 CFS to 8,000 cfs. It completely changed the river from just a little brown silt to dark red mud with logs. Great to see and experience! The rest of the trip the water slowly receeded.
So anyway...the river CAN swell to flash levels with one large storm...
River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010   #16
Decatur, Georgia
Paddling Since: 1973
Up around 4000 it might be necessary for a tandem to portage the gear to give them better odds of running successfully. We had a bunch of solo and tandem boats run Government without portaging gear, I think at about 1800 cfs, and all made the run just fine. One boat did relax when they hit a leftside eddy after completing the run, and they flipped. I don't see any reason for tandem open canoes to portage if they have good leadership on routes.

The route chosen by the duckies just asked for pinning, unless the paddlers have really good boat control.
ezwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #17
greeenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 1989
pinned boat at Govt Rapid

Hi, I was on the trip that had the pin (I'm from SC)...The tandem boat tried to go diagonally center to left and couldnt make the move, ended up straight onto a rock in the center of the river, with the bow paddler still sitting in the boat, hi and dry. First we got a helmet to her, then eased her to river left with ropes. We worked almost 4 hours with pulleys and z-drags, couldn't budge it. I'll try to upload a few photos. Thanks to the guys that stopped to help. I will append a report from the boat owner I just received: **************** You remember how it was just starting to rain when we left? Well, from then on it rained a hell of a lot more, and the river rose from around 800-900 cfs to nearly 5000 cfs by Sunday after we got off. So the BLM has been down the river twice since we went down. The first time the water was still too high to tell if my canoe was still there. The second time, the water was lower and they inform me that the canoe is not there anymore. I keep thinking it should have gotten stuck on a sandbar or something somewhere downstream, but evidently no one has seen it anywhere. I suppose it could be in Lake Powell by now. And I suspect it would be pretty dicey to get up the San Juan arm from Powell in a power boat or something, just because of the sand bars and all. (And itís a really long ways in a paddle-powered boat). Anyway, I havenít figured out what to do, yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinned boat.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	582.9 KB
ID:	2958  
padlnjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #18
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I like the video of the duckies!

I love that-"Cut the boat-there's no other way!" ...! A little knowledge can be dangerous to your gear! Well, no one is hurt, so if they were smart they stopped and had a "snack break" before they got after it.

Sorry about your canoe- no one's hurt, so its a good story now.

I don't know about the boat making it to Powell- any hole in that thing and its filling with silt and going to the bottom. It may show up sometime if someone does a low water Juan and they see it sticking out of a silt/sand bar somewhere. I'd be contacting my home owners insurance policy carrier.
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #19
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
I've never ran this rapid but it does not seem that difficult? The ducky guy looked like he was inexperienced or just screwing around as evident by "simple" lack of boat control. So why is this something you should avoid in a canoe? Is there more to it than I see on the video?
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #20
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Yikes. I hope I never boat with a "knife happy" group. Not to say that cutting a boat isn't sometimes the only option, but geez, that's pretty far down on the list of things to try first. Here's a question ..... they had a safety kayaker with them, did he paddle back into the river right eddy to assess the situation? I hope so. And I hope someone with a little more experience stepped in to manage the situation.
We've never had trouble with duckies or canoes in Government, but every rapid has the potential for mayhem.
Hope you find your canoe dude !!!

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote