Old 07-05-2011   #1
Swimming moster holes?

Does anyone have experience swimming monster, turbulent holes? I mean really, really big. Bigger than skull.

What's it like?

I mean holes like Maytag hole on the Yampa. Lava Falls may count. Possibly Pine Creek hole on the Ark.

Maytag hole:

Or this,

Lava Falls:

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #2
Durango, Colorado
Yes. Pine Creek and Maytag. I would suggest not swimming them as they pretty much suck. Instead of swimming them try going around them. This seemed to work better than swimmimg.

dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #3
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Yes. Pine Creek and Maytag. I would suggest not swimming them as they pretty much suck. Instead of swimming them try going around them. This seemed to work better than swimmimg.

As a member of the Lava Swim team, I agree with the above advice!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #4
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
the big holes will often give you a quick flush through. My biggest one to date was satans gut at real hi water and I popped out the other side w/o incident. One of the worst "hole swims" I've had was on a little ledge hole, I could hardly keep my head above water in the foam pile that kept pulling me back in.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #5
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I swam out of Molly's Nipple once. As soon as I pulled the skirt I was sucked right out of the hole. I resurfaced pretty quickly - less than 10 seconds down, probably. Overall it was a pretty painless experience.

I've found that the larger holes tend not to keep you that bad, unless they're pourovers, in which case they're really terrible. The more water involved, the more green water is flushing through. It's the small to medium holes where they aren't powerful enough to push you out, and you end up getting tooled.

p.s. "bigger than skull" - hahaha, priceless.
leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #6
Golden, Colorado
I agree with others, they don't have to be massive to be dangerous. I saw a nasty swim in the hole at WaterSlide on Escalante Creek this season and that hole can't be more than 4 or 5 ft. across. My buddy must have done at least 10 recircs before he came out the bottom. I hated to watch it.

I swam out of Pine Creek hole at what is considered a retentive level and was out of the hole before I even finished popping my skirt. The only time I've taken laps in a hole after getting out of my boat is on Westwater... in a little nondescript ledge hole on the left somewhere above Skull.... that was scary.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #7
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Before I rafted the Zambezi below Victoria Falls, the guide told us not to wear glasses, even with Croakies, unless we had spares. I left my glasses behind, and a good thing. We hit "Stairway to Heaven" (V) and went airborne and upside down. I have never felt such power pulling me under. Thank goodness someone else grabbed me before I went under a third time. It wasn't a recirculator - just a house-size curler, but complicated with crocs on the banks. I didn't want to swim too far.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #8
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
Swimming large holes is actually fun (when done on purpose). I've swam most of the big waves/holes on the Ottawa, Phils, Satlers, Below Garvins, Coli, etc. IF you get comfortable being underwater they aren't that bad .My worst swims have been in smaller pourovers as well, more powerful towback.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy

Read rapids? Read Rapid! The Whitewater Magazine
Join our Facebook Page for Special Offers
and read all of our back issues online for FREE!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote