Old 03-12-2012   #1
Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Swiftwater Rescue Instructor course

I'm looking for a swiftwater rescue instructor course preferably in the NW or in the Rocky Mountain Region and before June. Anyone know of good companies that offer this class?

Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #2
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I happen to know that Renaissance Adventure Guides is running a course in early May.

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #3
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Seems that most swiftwater instructor programs have one or more swiftwater rescue courses as prerequisites. Have you taken some swiftwater rescue courses before? Was it ACA, or Rescue3, or some other cert? Figure out the track you want to do, then go for it.
Here are a few Swiftwater rescue classes coming up that caught my eye (I am not associated with any of these companies btw). There is tons going on; tis the season!
Next Adventure in Portland has been having 2 for 1 specials which are the best prices I've ever seen for a 2 day course: $220 for one person, or $220 for two people! April is full; May has openings:
Yahoo! Groups
You could get ACA level 4 at this course; that would be a good way to start toward ACA swiftwater instructor level 4. Their instructors would know more about it than I do; give them a call.

Wet Planet has SWR courses coming up; a great organization:
Swift Water Rescue Course - Certification Provided by Rescue3
"This course meets the requirements for certification as either Whitewater Rescue Technician (WRT) or Swiftwater Rescue Tecnician 1 (SRT 1) by Rescue3 International."

Wilderness Rescue has some impressive instructor bios and good courses:
Wilderness Rescue International - About Wilderness Rescue
Here are their swiftwater rescue courses; most are full though:
Wilderness Rescue International
ACA courses:
Look through all the pages; I see level 4 instructor courses in Colima, CA, Salida, CO, Durango, etc. before June.

ACA instructor criteria:
ACA Instructor Criteria - American Canoe Association
Level 2: Essentials of River Safety & Rescue Instructor Criteria
Level 3: River Safety & Rescue Instructor Criteria
Level 4: Whitewater Kayaking Instructor Criteria
Level 5: Adv Whitewater Kayaking Instructor Criteria
Course Prerequisites: The candidate must have been an active L4 Whitewater Instructor for a minimum of TWO years. Completion of an L4 Swiftwater Rescue Course is required.
Here are Rescue3's instructor prerequisites. Looks like you would need a couple of their courses before taking the instructor course.
Rescue 3 International provides water and rope rescue training, for swiftwater, floods, boat and rivers.
Upcoming courses:
Rescue 3 International provides water and rope rescue training, for swiftwater, floods, boat and rivers.
(in calendar view, you have to hover over the dates)

Volunteering for downriver race safety has always been a great learning experience for me, and a fun time too. Lots of races coming up. The NW Creeking comp put out a request for safety boaters recently; and I'm sure they could use safety on the banks too.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #4
Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the info!! I am current as an SRT from Swiftwater Safety Institute, but my employer wants me be to be instructor certified. I'll check into these, thanks again
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #5
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Heads up on becoming a SRT instructor for Rescue 3. According to a friend of mine who has been in the process for YEARS -it's a real pain in the ass to get an instr level cert. The real problem isn't in taking an instructor "class" but on being observed enough times co-teaching to be checked off as being able to teach on your own. Not sure how other organizations handle instructor authorizations.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #6
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I took Renaissance Adventure Guide's Swiftwater Instructor course last spring. Lyle, Ty, and the gang are excellent.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." -The Water Rat
WindInTheWillows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012   #7
Check out for several SWR courses in colorado in the next couple months. Ask around. We have great courses that are practical and totally hands on in nature. No boring dryland text book class time. It's in the river from the beginning, and students come away with more experience and practice on the real situations that we, as kayakers, need to be able to handle. All of our instructors are 10-30 year veteran expedition paddlers, fun people to hang out with, and really great instructors.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #8
Richland, Washington
I highly recommend Chris Jonason with Wavetrek Rescue out of Index, WA. Rescue Training Courses in Washington and the Northwest | Wave Trek Rescue

She'll steer you straight on which instructor course matches what you want/expect. I took the ACA Rescue Instructor course from her two years ago. What an awesome week.

birdsnest is offline   Reply With Quote