Old 07-10-2006   #11
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
P.S. The course covers all of the topics required for ACA certification.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #12
Golden, Colorado
Yep, what WhiteLightning said. The basic course outline is just the ACA Swiftwater Rescue Course. The difference is in how Mike taught it compared to other instructors I've had.

I was afraid just to wade out into the river with all the foot entrapment potential and here Mike was intentionally pinning himself on stuff just so we could have realistic rescue scenarios. He didn't tell you what to do. You had to figure it out based on the tools he already taught you. It really drove the concepts home. And he would hang out there for twenty minutes essentially under water while we tossed thowbags into the tree branches and fumbled around. Once we pulled him free we realized we hadn't fully thought out the next step. Rather than making all those mistakes on your first rescue attempt you could iron some of that out in a realistic rescue scenario.

Like others said too, a very practical approach to river rescue as well.

That website does need some work though, Mike.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #13
River Rescue Instructor
Many Thanks

Hey Gang-
Mike Mather here. Thanks so much for the awesome reviews. This has been a very busy season in many ways (good and bad). I am constantly impressed with our boating communities willingness to learn and be there for each other. 2006 has had an alarming number of river accidents so really spread the word about prevention and truly being prepared for your next river experience.

At this time I don't have any classes on the calendar. I am headed to the New England area in mid July to possibly work with some groups who have had recent flood problems. I will post any future classes and look forward to learning and paddling with you guys soon.

Thanks again, Mike
ps. Sorry the web site is so weak. I am working on it.
River Rescue Instructor for 16 years and still can't curb the liquid addiction. Eager to teach anyone eager to learn. "Where there's water, there's a way".
Mike Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #14
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
mikey, we love you , and you know if you need work to call me, gpc tomorow, gore the day after? this thread reminds me of a rookie class on the last day... you know what i mean! call us when your back in town and playing @ Joes.

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote