Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-01-2008   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

I took a 2 day class with KODI rafting last year that was solid. Myself and another guy did 18 miles from Beuna Vista to Stone Bridge and learned enough to navigate class III water. I had 6-7 years of kayak experience under my belt prior to taking the lessons so it helped reading the river. If you have a basic river sense the class should make you confident running IIIs (Shoshone, Brown's, Westwater at lower levels) afterwards.

The 2nd day we did SWR training with the guides. It was perfect for learning knots, mechanical advantage, what to have on hand, as well as what to do when things go south. By the end of the day we were flipping rafts solo and setting up z-drags. If you read a couple of books and practiced the stuff they teach it would be a great intro to being an oar rig captain.

I'd also recommend hooking up on a few Westwater trips where there are medium to low flows. It's a great stretch where the moves aren't super technical but powerful enough to keep you on your toes.

Be sure to post on the buzz if you are looking to run something unfamiliar. It's easy to sync up and fun to row with new people.

leery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #12
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
SWRT in Leadville.

Thanks for the info Rog. I think I am going to the Carbon County Class which is on June 6-8. Any other takers want to share a ride over there? I live in Grand County.
There is a class in Leadville that CMC offers. It looks to be around $220. It’s during the middle of the week, APR 15th-17th. The number to the campus is 719-486-2015. Has anybody ever taken this class, any info about it would be great.

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #13
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Camping in Green River

For those who have taken the class or know the Green River, were is the cheapest camping. Is there any national forest in close proximity? Me and and a buddy are heading out for the june class. Any reason to bring a boat and take a couple days off?
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #14
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Green River State Park is either in or really close to town. Its also the put-in for Labyrinth/Stillwater Canyon float so there'll be fellow boaters hanging around rigging in the mornings & evenings.

You'll have good access to day and overnight trips from Green river. There's a day trip just below the Deso/Gray takeout floating down to Green River that doesn't require a permit. The Labyrinth/Stillwater Canyon float to Mineral Bottom (Class I but very scenic) could probably be done in four days with the flows you'll have then. If you're in the area, the drive over to Moab for the daily run there would be easy.

From Moab you could continue on over to the Dolores below Bedrock w/ or w/o a lazy, meandering float across the Paradox Valley before entering Paradox Canyon with fun Class II/III whitewater down to the confluence with the San Miguel (access), possibly continuing on through Mesa Canyon. Check on permit requirements for Mesa and downstream.

There's also the possiblity of picking up a San Juan cancellation permit from Bluff to Mexican Hat (us suave elites call it "Sombrero" ) - you'll need to have a permit app on file with the managing agency and a small party has a real good chance of getting a launch on short notice.

Have a good time!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #15
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
SWRT Class in Gypsum

Wade out of the Gypsum Fire Dept. does a class in Glenwood Canyon which costs $325/person and is a 3 day course. He has classes every weekend starting mid april through June. He can be emailed at waded@gypsumfirerescue.org. Hitting that up May 16 weekend before heading to Deso Gray.

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote