Old 02-14-2006   #1
Metro Area, Colorado
Swift-water Rescue Courses

Hey all,

Need some info on SWR courses being offered in Metro area this spring. I would prefer to take it in April (do they even run then?). Has anyone had a good experience with any particular shop or organization. How long did the class run, where, and cost would be great.

Thanks for the help.

Can't wait to get back on the water!!

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #2
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
OH OH..ME TOO ME TOO! Only somewhere on the Ark might work better for me. Anyone got the goods?

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #3
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here is a link to one I've heard about. No first hand experience with them.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #4
pnw, Washington
RMOC taught my class in and around Salida, it was a good course.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006   #5
Send a message via AIM to pablito Send a message via MSN to pablito Send a message via Yahoo to pablito

Brandon Holmes, owner of River Medic Inc. may be holding a course towards the end of May either in BV or clear creek, I'm not sure, but for the past two years he has done a least one course for rescue 3's Swiftwater Rescue Technician course. shoot him an e-mail at and express your interest and hopefully you can get hooked up with a great course.

pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006   #6
Bill Dvorak usually runs a few courses in the Ark valley and other parts of the state. Good course, very knowlegable instructors,. Cost wise you may find cheaper, but they will teach you what is up.
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
also check out

send mike an email ( and he can give you an idea of his schedule for this spring. this is the best course around and if you have a group, it can be customized to your needs.

as a reference for many mtn buzzers, he taught the paddle with the pros class last spring on clear creek...
Alpine Arms
Team Dagger
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006   #8
River Rescue Instructor
I will be teaching a private ACA River Rescue class in Denver on April 22nd and 23rd. I'll check to see if a few outsiders could join in or if enough people are interested we can put together another class around Easter. I will be back in the Colorado area at the beginning of June teaching all over the state.
River Rescue Instructor for 16 years and still can't curb the liquid addiction. Eager to teach anyone eager to learn. "Where there's water, there's a way".
Mike Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #9
I usually do several SWR courses in the spring. Usually down on the South Platte around foxton or waterton. The Boulder Outdoor Center usually has a class there in april as well . If you want to do a private group class I can set it up. I can guarantee a much better price than any shop (usually about $150 per person, unless there is a big group we can go a little cheaper), and I have been teaching the classes for several years. I am a certified ACA swiftwater instructor trainer. I have been whitewater paddling since I was six years old, so I have had plenty of time to practice rescues. You can call me at 303-809-8942 or email me at

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006   #10
last year the Mountain Shop in Fort Collins set up an excellent class in May. Hope they do it again!

madriver is offline   Reply With Quote