Old 08-20-2010   #1
Paddling Since: 1993
Swallows Canyon.

Looking for Beta on Swallows Canyon on the Ark. Me and the wife and dog want to do a mellow float this weekend and dont want to deal w/ all the madness that will surely be on the upper C and Ruby/HT. Anyone ever float through Swallows Canyon and have any info as to camping spots, access, Hazards, and anything else ya can think about.
Thanks alot gang.

P.S. I'm still trying to locate my (hopefully mistakenly) mis packed paco pad from Deso/Gray take out on the 8th.

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #2
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
The Falcon "Paddling Colorado" book has a description. (I have it at home somewhere)

You also might try e-mailing an old professor of mine in Pueblo David Cockrell. I am pretty sure he has run that a number of times. His e-mail is

Also if you update the subject of your post to include "Arkansas between Canon City and Pueblo" you might get other responses (there is more than 1 Swallows Canyon around).

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #3
Calhan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm also very interested in that stretch, supposed to be one of the last vestiges of cottonwood forest, could be alot of wood in the river. Let me know what you find out. cheers, Bob
brmidjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010   #4
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 96
I have floated this stretch and it is great for solitude and wildlife, especially birds.
A tough logistical trip though, it is extrememly difficult to access because of private land, there is a dam in Florence that is a tough portage (maybe even illegal), a flat paddle into Pueblo Reservoir and a 1/2 mile or so hike to the closest parking at the reservoir unless you paddle all the way to a marina.
Some people that can offer advice would be Stew Pappenfort at AHRA (719)539-7289 or the guys at Raft Masters in Canon City.
SalidaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #5
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks Team.
I actually didn't get down that way as the logistics looked nightmarish from space. (google earth). We ended up floating the blue below Grn Mtn Res to the Gore put in. Good release now, 700 cfs till thursday. Nice stretch of river and the fish were so big I almost didnt let my dog swim. Nice way to spend the day and not much of a hassle from Golden for a day trip.
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote