Old 08-24-2011   #1
jackson, montana, santa fe, wyoming
Paddling Since: 06
SW Creekn..TN, KY, NC??

I'm driving from wyoming to north carolina. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good runs or waves between here and there that will be running in acouple weeks. I haven't decided which route to take, a sweet creek could decide it for me.. Most stuff looks too low right now..any advice would be helpful.

jackson, wy

asharktaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #2
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
I did a similar trip about a year ago. Started at Ohiopyle PA for a 18' clean waterfall and the Lower Yough, then headed south to West Virginia or Upper Yough, Valley Falls, New River, and Gauley. Yough, New and Gauley have regular releases in the fall so fairly reliable.
In NC you have the Green, which released very regularly.

There is also the St Francis in Missouri to break up the drive, although I have only caught that in the spring so not sure if it is likely to be flowing.

A little google searching will get you the release schedules on the Yough and Gauley.

Also, if you will be staying in that area don't forget Gauley fest toward the end of September. It is a silly good time.

Have fun.

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #3
Bugtussle, Kentucky
Dry as a bone down here. Everyone is waiting for Gauley Season in September, and the Russell Fork in October.

In the meantime its Green Narrows for something steep, and a few other dam release, floating undercut runs like Ocoee and Pigeon. Hurricane Irene predictions keep moving it east, so it wont impact the Appalachians like I had hoped.

My legs hurt from rain dancin', but it doesn't seem to be working anyway.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote