Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-14-2008   #1
Surfer's Ear Tour at CKS Paddle Fest this weekend

The Surfer's Ear Tour just wrapped up a great weekend at the Reno River Fest, and our next stop is the CKS Paddle Fest in Buena Vista. We gave out 80 ear exams in Reno, and most were surprised by what the video otoscope showed on the TV screen. Around 2/3 had some bone growth, and around 1/3 had it bad enough to cause problems. 10% were getting close to surgery.

Stop by our booth at the Paddle Fest between 4pm and 7pm on Friday or Saturday to get your free ear exam. We'll have some Teva handouts, including CDs, stickers, and gift certiciates.

r.moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #2
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Thats funny only because in my Anatomy lab, we had to explain certain ear effects caused by certain actions in life. I explained extosis... and she didnt' have a clue..... After showing her evidence, and explaining the reason I didn't listen in class was due to this, she laughed and also researched it! Good for you guys, if I am there, I will take an exam as well!

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
So, how does kayaking effect this?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
its the kayaking conditions that do it not the kayaking itself

cold water and cold wind
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008   #5
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Deifnetly! Its more the colder water, plus wind, or the splashing of water in your ear that causes it. When I went in for a physical for hockey, the doctor actually looked for extosis when I told him I kayaked. Luckily he said I didnt have anything sticking out. The solution is ear plugs, when in cold water! If you look at the history of a bunch of paddlers, it can become a huge problem. Surgery is now laser, or actual growth removal, but none the less, its easily preventable..... with some ear plugs.... and im easily guilty as charged as I don't wear any. But after my courses in human anatomy, its made me want to get a set!

If your at CKS, just stop by and get it checked out!
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote