B.F.E., Wyoming
Surfers ear?

What are the symptoms?

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via AIM to wnccreeker
basically your ear hurts really freakin bad. It tends to make kind of popping noises. It'll start hurting when you chew food with that side of your mouth. Kind of just a sharp pain inside your ear. Probably won't be able to hear out of that ear as well either. Oh, and good chance its the ear that comes out of the water first with your onside roll.

wnccreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #3
B.F.E., Wyoming
At first does it feel like your ear hasn't popped(like going up or down a mountain)? I've popped it like twenty times and it comes back 1-2 seconds later. There isn't too much pain yet, but I can't hear, hurts when I chew and it is the ear that comes out first.
Old 06-11-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via AIM to wnccreeker
definitely could be. its been like, a year, but that kind of sounds like how it starts. Get some ear drops for it. Or, you can mix half vinegar half rubbing alcohol and that will help break some of the stuff up. Definitely try and take care of it now, cause if you do get an ear infection, it sucks pretty bad.
wnccreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #5
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Get it checked!

If I were you, I would get it checked out. I started getting ear infections and finally went to an ear, nose and throat guy. Turns out I had surfer's ear for what he estimated to be twelve or thirteen years. I have always been in the water and got swimmers ear a lotand never thought anything about it. When they tested my hearing I had lost 80% in my right ear and I had no clue. I had two painful surgeries and lost half a boating season. The earlier you catch it the better off you will be. It may just be an ear infection and you need some antibiotics. I would also start using drops when you get out of the water. I use swim ear, but you can make your own as well.
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008   #6
B.F.E., Wyoming
thanks for the info. I have started ear drops and if it doesn't get any better I'll hit the doctor
Old 06-13-2008   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey, did you see the post "Surfers ear Tour" they are giving out FREE exams in BV and Salida this weekend.
Proslackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #8
Surfers ear is bony growths that grow in your ear canal, due to exposure to water.

When you get an infection, that is caused by bacteria and is known as swimmers ear.

People that have surfers ear tend to get more infections becasue water gets trapped by the bony growths, and bacteria can grow there. The infections can cause swelling in your ear which can affect your hearing, expecially if you already have narrowing of your ear canal due to the bony growths.

The best thing to do if you have surfer ear is to wear doc pro plugs whenever you are in the water (even in a pool). If used regularly, they will keep the bony growths from getting worse and also keep infections from happening.

I have had surfers ear for thirty years. I have never had the surgery, even though a doctor told me over tweny years ago that I had to have the surgery. Once I started being religous about wearing plugs, the infections stopped occurring. Even though my ear canal is still full of the bony growths, I hear great.

I know a number of people that have had the surgery only to end up having to get it again or having complications.

So my advice to anyone is get the infections cleared up, and start wearing plugs!
RCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #9
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
What to do about it

First off wear ear plugs!!!! This will save you years of hassle. Second if you have ear pain that is caused by the growth of bacteria. A mixture of alcohol hand vineger will take care of those little beasties. If your bony growth have grown to the point that water can get in but can't get out you may want to condier surgury. Wait till after boating season and make sure to go to an ENT Doc who has done a bunch of these. I've had both ears reamed out but I still get infections so I wear ear plugs and use the stuff for swimmers ear mixed with a bit of vineger and it works.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008   #10
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
water gets stuck in my ear for hours and usually doesn't come out just kind of evaporates. i should go get mine checked for sure.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote