Old 06-29-2007   #21
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 96

Originally Posted by brandonschmit View Post
I saw the demo at the CKS fest and it looked fun. Question for the Banshee folks.....Do you ever use riverboards with fins? It seems like the banshee folks I saw were using skim boards and they were having trouble maintaining a straight path once at speed. You should try wakeskates. You can still spin but the 1 inch fins will also keep you tracking straight when you lean back. The increased rocker will allow for spins. Shove-its, and all the other wakeskate tricks would still be available to the riverboarders. Imagine ollies and kickflips off of the ripples in the surface of the river. Maybe you've tried this and they are tough to get up on a plane but it seems like it would be a better option than a skimboard. Or I could be totally wrong....just my 0.02.

We have tried riverboards with fins, and this is a good thing for beginners. The fins make the board track really straight, which isn't much fun once you are an experienced rider. But fins are a good thing for someone learning to stand and ride. Most riders need about 4 or 5 sessions of riding before they begin to be comfortable standing - Then you can start trying tricks. Rocker - (Constant rocker- Where the board has a continuious curve along its length) on a riverboard is not a good thing either. Rocker kills your speed. This is no big deal on a wakeboard because the boat provides your speed. We can already do most of the wakeskate tricks - Big Spins, Ollies, Shuvits - No one has completed a kickflip as of yet - But the pro skimboarders say it is just a matter of time. Riverboards are a lot like skimboards with a few imprtant differences. - Riverboards have more reinforcement. We have used plain skimboards in the past and they generally don't hold up long under the stresses of riverboarding. Riverboards are a little bigger than your average skimboard also. I will be posting our newest video on Youtube today. It has lots of tricks and show what happens when you fall off the board with the bungee stretched. The clip of the guy doing an Ollie off the rock didn't make to this clip, hopefully that shot will be in the next one.

Banshee Riverboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #22
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I'm still waiting for something like kite boarding to take off on the rivers. Inspite of all the disadvantages like bridges, power lines, trees etc, that seems to be the only way to get upstream without a motor...

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote