Old 08-13-2007   #11
washington D.C., Maryland
Paddling Since: 2007
Dan, that sounds like a REALLY good idea. At least til I can try out and/or purchase the Happy Feet.

ole_nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007   #12
yeah, do what Dan says. I took the happy feet out, and lined the bow with 1/2" and 1/4" foam. With NRS booties, it's great. I also beefed up the thigh braces with foam too. Makes the boat a ton more comfy.

redjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #13
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
First off:
Stumpster- Good catch on the plastic. I was obviously wrong on that one. Hadn't seen anything from Jackson about switching classics to sup/lin plastic. Sorry.

On Dan's- At 6'2" I can almost guarantee that you can fit happyfeet in there. Just buy the small size. But there's nothing wrong Dan's technique. One question; do you drink the ale or just open it? (Sorry. The smartass couldn't resist.)

A suggestion:
With happyfeet or Dan's technique, if you can fit it, you might want to get a thin (1/8" or 1/4") sheet of foam and basically wrap the inside of the boat where your feet will be. It provides a little more bang around protection.
Once glued in, you need to sand down the edges. If not, every time you get in and out you'll probably catch on it a little and start to tear out the foam. I believe LiquidLogic does something like this and calls it the "cone of comfort" or somethin' like that. Not really a necessity, more of a bonus. I thought CKS used to have something made specifically for this but I'm not seeing it on their website. You could contact them about it but it's nothing fancy, just a thin foam sheet.

One last thing:
I don't know what the classics have for a seat. I'd imagine it's just the plastic seat pan. If so, you're eventually going to want some sort of seat pad (sooner than later). This isn't just for comfort. It's another performance fit kind of thing. It'll keep you from moving around when you don't want to. Once again, Jackson's sweetcheeks is great and gives you the opportunity to modify it later easily, but with a little more work and time you can sculpt a good seat pad from the foam.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the beers and the boatin' (you'll find they go hand in hand).
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #14
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

What you found is true... our plan was and still is to make the Classic Lines of our kayaks in Linear as opposed to Cross link, but the truth is that they are still Cross link at the moment. Long story as to why, but safe to say that will change to Linear rather soon. For the time being, those that bought Classics this year are stoked to know that they are indeed Crosslink. Next year that will change for sure, again long story as our plan was to save he money that using Linear provides but that switch didn't happen for logistical reasons. Mr Nasty does indeed have a Crosslink boat, as does anyone that has bought one on our "Classic" series so far.
Just to reduce any confusion, all of our current models are made in Crosslink... Linear will only be used in Classics and that will start next season 2008

Hope everyone is had and is continueing a great season!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote