Old 04-21-2010   #11
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I did watch the whole thing, I bought the video and watch it last week. We got it because we have been SUPing on the Platte after work and figured the video would give some more in-depth insight into moving water techniques.

It is a very good introduction video to flat water strokes and basic river reading skills. But I still think it is most helpful for those who have never been on whitewater before; As it did not teach us anything we did not figure out on our own, messing around on the river.

"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #12
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
RiverSUP 2 advanced technique

OK. RiverSUP 2 will be advanced technique, and yes RiverSUP was geared more towards Ocean SUP surfers who don't know anything about whitewater. Advanced version will teach the roll, Class III - Class IV stuff, waterfall technique etc. And pasted below just got response from a happy purchaser. Have fun on the river!

"Greetings from a very spring like Yellowstone Country Paul. Thanks for the shout out. Yeah, the video is super tight. I have done a lot of video work with film crews in the park and your guys film is certainly top notch. I wish I could come down for the SUP championships, they look awesome, but I run a nonprofit up here that I founded and do a lot of speaker and presentations and I have a big keynote that week for a statewide conference followed by a two day grizzly bear viewing workshop I am leading. Otherwise I would be down in a hurry! I would love to say in touch though, because it has been great to get beta and feedback from you guys down there.

I may be a little wobbly as the YouTube videos above where taken this past weekend on my second and third days on the board after experiencing it for a week in Hawaii this October, but I wanted to share them with you. I haven't been able to get my brain off the SUP since our October journey to the islands...

Take Care,

Michael Leach, Writer/ Licensed Guide/ Naturalist/ Public Speaker/ Coach
P.O. Box 171
Gardiner, MT 59030

eaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #13
I like to switch from forward stance to surf stance in bigger rapids. It helps me a lot for balance being able to brace well on my strong side. In small rapids I just stay facing forwards.

There are a lot of people who are inquiring about both flat water SUP and River SUP in Colorado right now. The River SUP video does a fine job giving paddlers a great overall general explanation and information on how to SUP on the river. It is short and sweet.

I feel anyone who likes to paddle will like SUP, whether on lakes or rivers. It is an incredibly fun way to get in the best shape of your life.

If folks want to try it out for the first time or try new products, there will be 2 days of free demos and basic instruction at Paddle Fest 2010 in Buena Vista , Colorado, May 29th and 30th on the Town Pond

SUP-Stand Up Paddling CKS PaddleFest '10
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #14
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
to Cu kayak girl. Thanks for the feedback.! You have described perfectly who this dvd is for: from people unfamiliar to the river environment and those with little or no stroke knowledge, to those people already SUP'ing and working their way to class II rapids. As stated this basic video will "cover everything you need to know to get started stand up paddling on flatwater through class two rapids". As you sound like you already have these skills and have translated your kayak strokes to canoe strokes, you will really enjoy our next video which covers in depth technique and tactics for advanced surfing, class three river running and beyond. Also, I would like to invite you to the 2nd annual Whitewater SUP championships in Glenwood Springs on May 31st. Three events ( Downriver, Paddle cross and Surf ) for all day fun! A great chance to compare technique with the best river stand up paddlers. Hope you can make it.
Charlie MacArthur
cpmacarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #15
Originally Posted by bvwp1 View Post
I like to switch from forward stance to surf stance in bigger rapids. It helps me a lot for balance being able to brace well on my strong side. In small rapids I just stay facing forwards.
This is correct, Skate stance is the only way to go in rapids. Blader stance is very good for crossing eddy lines, in eddies and smaller rapids. I also go Blader Style till the last minute to get max speed, then switch to skate style right as I enter the rapid.

I took a SUP down the Grand Canyon and was able to run every rapid with it. Obviously did a lot of the get bucked off and swim for your life to grad your board technique.

The most important thing in SUP'ing is being civilized. You just step on all civilized , then session it and then at the end pull up to the bank and step off all civilized. That's the only tip I give beginners, "be civilized".

I attached a pic of being civilized in Hance Rapid on the grand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13351_176470658493_675193493_3019554_3300060_n.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2534  
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #16
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
The most common SUP technique I've seen is falling off at the start of the rapid and then swimming the rest. haha. inner tubing might be a cheaper alternative.
I've found this technique can be applied to riding waves in the ocean as well. Quite versatile!
tk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #17
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
I also go Blader Style till the last minute to get max speed, then switch to skate style right as I enter the rapid.
I have not done very much river running on my SUP, but what you describe is what I find works best for surfing river waves. Build speed up the eddy standing straight and then jump to surf position right before crossing the eddy line. Earl taught me that...

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #18
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Mut. There is a stance between "Blader"/ parallel and a surf stance that works best for running rapids. It is a staggered stance that gives you fore/aft and lateral balance. Simply slide one foot back about 12 inches or more as needed and you have a staggered stance. You can turn your feet about 45 degrees as well for a little more surf feel. From this stance , you can easily drop the trailing knee to the deck for additional stability if needed and then pop back up on to your feet. Parallel stances allow the easiest paddling for cross forwards and switching grips to a righty or lefty stroke. I use both as the situation demands. Once staggered or in surf stance. It is easier to paddle "on-side" or on the" toe" side of the board. Hope this helps!

cpmacarthur is offline   Reply With Quote