Old 05-04-2010   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
SUP Question

So I'm thinking on bringing a SUP on our upcoming San Juan trip in June. My wife can get this one from her shop. C4 Waterman 10-0 Pohaku Epoxy Stand Up Paddle Board. Will this be OK for mild whitewater? It seems that the inflatables are a better choice, am I wrong? I'm a total SUP noob, will I be all over or should I say under with this board?

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bump. Wow, 87 view and not a single reply?? And I thought the buzzards were all over the SUP thing.

Old 05-06-2010   #3 doing the damn thing
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I dont know much about the San Juan, as I am just getting started on WW, but I have been stand up paddling for about 6 years now.

If the river isnt boney, you'll be fine with a composite board, so long as no one minds bumping into 10' of board in the raft. There is no way I could run the Poudre in anything other than an inflatable, so I have 2. It's nice to be able to stow them for long periods of time, but the performance sucks.

Come check out the event over Memorial Day at the Glenwood wave. Try them out, see what you think is going to work for you, talk to people and see what they think.
ACheateaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the relpy. We'll see how it goes. I guess I'll need to see how it can be attached to the raft when we are not on it. That may be a pain.
Old 05-06-2010   #5
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
As far as being able to stand on the board and get down the river, the C4 10' is fine. The issues you might find with a hard board are twofold. One is that when you fall, you want to fall onto the board. You can't always see below the surface and you don't know if there are rocks ther or not. So, falling on the board is better than falling into the unknown. Depending how often you are falling, it might start to hurt after a while. The other issue is hitting rocks. If you bash the epoxy board into rocks, you will have to repair it. If you bash it inot lots of rocks, you'll have to repair it lots.

It seems to me that the inflatables are better suited for the rio. I understand there is a copmany out there looking to use kayak plastic for a board. That might work once they figure it out. The drawback of the inflatable is that you loose some perfromance (so i have been told). I have a C4 10' inflatable and when it is pumped to 15psi, i think I could knock someone out with it. It is stiff. But the edges are softer.

All in all, you should be fine. but if you get into harder whitewater you might want to consider an inflatable.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #6
We brought a 10'6" C4 C-Mac down the Grand Canyon last fall and it was all good. I will tell you up front though, the C4 epoxy boards are not real durable in a river setting and those of us who own them have formed a de facto support group for one another where we vent our frustrations and share repair ideas.
As long as you understand going in that the shell will chip and the board won't look very pretty very long, it's not a huge issue though. The boards are constructed with an "inner" layer that maintains integrity even after the shell is dinged. So they still work and don't take on too much water unless they are really bashed, which shouldn't be the case on the San Juan. Just be sure to bring some sort of ding repair kit and consider lining the edges with "rail tape" (Surftech sells some) or do an online search for "helicopter tape."
As for the stowage, on the rare occasion that no one used the board on the Grand, it turned out to be a great seat on the raft or makeshift table on the beach. Just throw a couple straps over it on top of some dry bags and you'll be fine.
San Juan seems ideal for SUP. Have a blast!
willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #7
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Ocean Kayak came out with the Nalu this year which is a roto molded SUP board, it is intended as an entry level lake board but due to the designers background it paddles rivers fairly well and it is super durable.

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote