Old 08-10-2009   #1
SUP on the Numbers....Game on

OK, so we have all be hearing about SUP, Stand Up Paddling, and it’s potential in whitewater. The sport of SUP is the fastest growth sector of paddling right now. Most popular being lake and flat-water for the incredible exercise and for how fun it is.

We have been dabbling around on the river having a blast, playing in the parks and running some cool stuff. Everyone I see on a SUP is having the “best day”. But I always thought it was kind of limited on whitewater. Till now.

I just saw this video today of Hobie on the Numbers of the Ark. Holy cow……game on……….I want to go……..nice work…………inspiring…………

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
What! No video of #5? He must of taken out above it! Now lets see that again at some decent flow and I will be more convinced of it's viability as a river runner.

Just giving you guys a hard time! It is great to see people expanding the possibilities out there. I just prefer whitewater splashing over my head, not just at my knees!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #3
mikekeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #4
So much fun, a great paddling alternative, no matter what the water is doing. You will enjoy SUP when the water is low and you are still wanting to paddle. Even makes family trips a blast..........
Mike Harvey's SUP Review | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #5
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Call it what you like. Its fun and way harder then kayaking down the same rapids. Its all new and everyone I have had on one has had a great time. My kids dig it, friends have had fun trying on all types of water and it makes low water really fun. As for # 5, I took out at the bottom of it on river left.

Lame? I used to think anyone not in a kayak running class V was lame. I really did. But recently I have learned that if your having fun, its all good regardless of what people think. I was injured racing this spring on Homestake and stand up paddling has been a great way for me to stay on the river. It allows me to still get 40 - 50 river miles a week and not be sidelined.

Next run is Gore in the next few weeks then paddle one in the race. I'm sure I will get regulated but who knows......

Which by the way for some race line footage. Good luck to everyone. Don't let some LAME Stand up boarder beat you!

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #6
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
great video - i'm super impressed what you can do on those things. make sure to wear that helmet cam on gore with your sup! - i can't wait to see it
-Chadwick Shoults
Twitter: CUBuffskier
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #7
Go Hobie! That is pretty rad man - I have been having an amazing time getting into SUP on my local class 2 stretches here in Gunnison County like the lower Taylor etc.... Haven't thought of touching the #'s yet - I hope to get there (skillwise) by next year maybe. Let's get together for for downriver SUP sometime.
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #8
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
You've heard of kayak polo...
Soon to be introduced, kayak/SUP bowling!
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #9
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Looks awesome to me! Combines some of my favorite things.
The limitations that I see are inability to boof and the size of board required to be stable when standing. (And not planing.) Can't wait to see the short board solution. Seems like the longboard would be a speed demon in a downriver situation.
Nice work.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
nice job Hobie, I am very intererested in the new challege- SUP! looks like fun . kayaking is also a blast but going to stay open minded about it until i get to try it!

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, cks, stand up paddling