Old 02-27-2011   #1
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
SUP Board Advice

I think I'm going to buy a board, but I have no idea where to start. I've searched the forum, but no luck. I'm 5'1" and 113lbs. I would like to buy a board that I can use in flat water to learn and still be able to paddle in class II and III whitewater.
I don't know anything about the different brands, so will probably go with a company that I know (kayaks, rafts, etc..). I'm also concerned about being able to handle the board out of the water. I'm afraid that I'm not even going to be able to get a 12ft board on top of my truck by myself. Do they make them smaller for little people?
My current kayak is a Jackson Sidekick, so I'm not too proud to use kids gear.
Any advice?

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #2
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I just bought a C4 iSUP, the 10'9" XXL, I have only used it on ocean so far but it is great fun and a pretty decent board for cruising, surfing smaller waves etc. I think it's gonna be a blast on the river, just waiting for the right flows here in Bali....

I am searching for a smaller board for my girlfriend who is about your size, I think I'll be shooting in the 9' range. That still seems big but once you are on it, the size shrinks right up underneath you! They make SUP boards of ALL shapes and sizes now, down to 6' little peanuts. The shorter you go, the less fun it will be on flatwater though. The inflatables are impressively rigid and perform well and if you're looking for a downriver board (not just park and surf) I think it would be the way to go. C4 waterman makes some inflatables for kids etc, they'd be worth a look too. There are a lot of plastic ones on the market too but they would be pretty heavy.

I think you are right though, it would be smart to stick with companies that know what they're making and have testers rather than someone who is just punching out plastic shells to catch this fad.

like anyone will tell you, a demo would be a good idea too even if it is only on flatwater. Good luck!

"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #3
You Haven't Heard of Us

But Check us out>>> We are going to have a bunch of us at Teva this year, come and demo a board. JB
h20bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #4
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie

The Universal line from Surftech works really well. Super stable, durable and works for a variety of paddling. They make a 9'6 that would work well for you.
I have used inflatables in the past and think they are ok, but a hard board works much better. They (inflatables) flex too much to perform well. My opinion. Also, be on the look out for the Badfish guys in Salida to drop an awesome board on the market this summer.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I just bought an inflatable board, the Sevylor Samoa. It's 11 foot 6 inches, and very easy to move around. I'd say it weighs about 25 pounds. It inflates to 12 psi, which, the first time you inflate it seems like it's going to burst because it gets so rigid. I weigh 150 and it's super stable for me, I don't notice a major difference between it and the rigid boards I tried. It packs into a backpack, and I look forward to carrying it on multiple day rafting trips for flat stretches and class iii. I tried the board made by Saturn, the infamous Mountain Buzz scapegoat and loved it. I just bought the Sevy because it went 66% off at the marine store where I'm wintering. Try, they're super cheap.

No matter what anyone says, SUPing is rad. There's a 15 minute learning curve on flat water, and I am stoked as hell to get it on rivers this summer. If you wanna wait, you can come to Fort Collins and try my board when I get back in mid April. Otherwise, SYOTR!
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Badfish Riverboards, made locally by a Salida paddler, carried by CKS, and used by buzzards....check them out:
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #7
I'll be renting out Starboard SUP, a liquid Shredder 9 footer, and the NRS big earl inflatable SUP boards from my shop in boulder this summer. If you want to try one, this is a good way to go. Here is a link . I'm still working on the details, so some things are incorrect on this page. The pricing in the table is good, and we can apply a 1 day rental's cost to the price of a new board.

Nick Wigston
Whitewater Tubing/CKS rental center
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #8
Hi, this decision can be a little taunting as a first year SUPer. There are a lot of choices. I highly recommend going to a retail center to talk in depth about the offering and then try to demo some boards. Just like kayaking, you will have to decide which route you will want to take. Surf, River Running, Wave Riding, Touring, and or Fitness.
CKS| Stand Up Paddle Boards: Kona Stand Up Board, Uli Steamroller Stand Up Board, Uli Stand Up Board, & more

There are now boards for every style and you can find some that are all rounders to get you started. CKS stocks a wide variety year round in our BV store front. We also will have a big SUP demo at Paddle Fest 2011.

SUP-Stand Up Paddling « CKS PaddleFest '11

Call us anytime with questions. 719 395 8653 x 2

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote