Old 03-18-2013   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
For the summer, the Mid-Atlantic and SE are very nice.

Reliable flows from March through October in WV, PA, MD:
Cheat River
Yough River (Upper has 3 releases a week all summer, Lower runs everyday and has an 18 footer in town)
Gauley: runnable most of summer and late summer has awesome releases

Great climbing in Coopers Rock State Park and Summersville.

No real 14ers but some awesome boating that runs all the time and gets really really good anytime it rains.

Whitewater Map American Whitewater river info you can use.
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #22
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by JHimick View Post
I can't believe some have suggested BV/Salida is the tits. It's criminal to suggest based on the number of tourists and gapers alone, never mind the snowpack. They're cool towns but Carbondale offers way more options for boating: Crystal, Yule Creek, Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, Lime Creek, Colorado... and that's all within about a 45 minute radius.
Everything I listed for BV is within a 15-20 minute drive. If you up that to aprox. 45 minutes you can include Bighorn Sheep Canyon and the Royal Gorge, Elevenmile Canyon on the South Platte, Tenmile/Snake/Blue in Summit and the Taylor. Not to mention you can be on the Roaring Fork or in the Crested Butte area in a little over an hour via Independence/Cottonwood Passes. Oh yeah, you can also include Eagle Source, Gilman Gorge and Dowd Chute in the aprox. 1 hr drive category....

You may not have as many tourists in Carbondale, but you have to deal with the snobby high class Roaring Fork Valley residents that surround the Aspen area..... besides, neither one will have enough water to warrant it as a serious paddling destination this summer.

Stick with Pac NW or BC for water this year.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #23
Looking at the NorthWest

I suppose I should have started this discussion by saying that Colorado is really not on the top of my list. If I look at the Pacific Northwest as many of you mentioned, where specifically should I focus my search? I've looked into Hood River, but the prices there are a bit steep. Coeur d'Alene seems promising, although the boating options there seem a bit slim. Does anyone have any experience living on the Southern Oregon coast? Someone mentioned Bellingham and I'm looking into that as well. I've also looked into Banff and Whistler, but it seems that my wallet is not deep enough to afford even the smallest apartment. I wonder, what is Bozeman like in the summer? Any other suggestions?
lama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #24
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Bozeman is a great place to live for a number of reasons that may or may not apply. We have great hiking which also involves Grizzly Bears. The following have a great reputation but I don't participate: Mountain Biking, Climbing, Fly Fishing. The whitewater is fun but not as densely packed as many areas in CO, but we actually have water. Most runs you will have to yourself all day, but you also can't rely on showing up to the take-out for a pickup crew. If you plan on mixing your recreation time across multiple sports it's great. If you plan to mostly kayak and dabble in other things I would think about other spots.

The town chills out in the summer but the surrounding area gets more traffic with people coming/going to yellowstone. It's not the zoo that Jackson is, but something to be aware of. More importantly the rental market is pretty rough. ~92% are filled and finding affordable, reasonable housing in town isn't an easy task. If you live out of town things improve to a degree.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #25
SW, Colorado
Here's an idea

Use your prospective rent money to buy a camper trailer.

$3 large will get you a nice rig that you can likely resell in the fall for slightly less.

This way you are mobile, if you go to OR for a month, then decide to check out the ID scene, you're good!
fella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #26
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by lama View Post
If you were in my shoes, where would you go?
Hood River OR!!! Idaho sucks! Way easier to find room mates, job, and the season is longer. Plus Idaho is full of fat girls. That's no s#!t. You'll starve in Idaho right now and be lucky to find any work at all. Idaho has one of the lowest min wages and high cost of living in hidden indirect costs. CDA, not!! After the 4 of july everything is too low. In the long run hood is cheaper simply cuz you can get a job for $10/hr. Good luck finding that in Idaho.

PS: I lived in cda until 2007.

Now if your a trust funder, go to Cascade ID.
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #27
Wheeler, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
If you come to Oregon for the summer stick to the cascades. The coast rivers are all dried up by June. South coast is sweet in the rainy season though.
boogercookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #28
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I visited Hood River last month for the first time,I gotta say I was a bit let down. I'm sure(hopefully) its a little more fun in summer though. The town itself seemed a little boring and a bit pricey. Bham seems way more energetic. More restaurants,more people,more hot college girls,awesome downtown. I wish I could live there,but can't. So I just visit often. I know Hood river is a cool town(in summer) but I would choose Bham over HR any day. No disrespect to you Hood rats. The biking alone,is enough reason to move to Bellingham. Bend sounds,and looks cool,but i haven't been so I can't comment.

Missoula and Bozeman Get a vote too.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #29
The Bitterroot, Montana
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post

Missoula and Bozeman Get a vote too.
Missoulas boating is damn good but really spread out. All the creeking is dry by June /July. The Clark Fork is fun class III play, but is a 40 min drive from town. Kootanai Creek/ Bear Creek are the closest and most quality creeks and are both 35-45 min away. Within 1.5 hour radius you get prospect creek, boulder creek, N.F. blackfoot, trout creek, and the Lochsa which does count for alot. A bit further (2-3 hours) and you get some of the best wilderness runs in the nation like the Salmon, Forks of the Salmon, Selway. Also in the 2-3 hour range you pick up the Yaak, Kootanai River, upper Dearborn, secret 50'er, some possible first d action, N Idaho, Mesa, Bozeman, etc.. but if your looking to stay in one place skip the Zoo. The biking is kinda weak too.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013   #30
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Move to Cascade. Don't have to worry about hot college girls or girls at all for that matter.

Got the Payettes, Little Salmon just over the hill. Just over the hill from the SF Salmon which shouldn't be too scary this year and all of it's connected upper tribs. Plus a ton of other more esoteric stuff. And some of it dam released for later in the year.

Or McCall just a little further up valley.

I have to say the most fun I had over there was living in my van. Yeah down by the river. I would go to Yellow Pine for a week, then the upper Payette and all it's hot springs. Then over to the Cabarton and the NF/Staircase section of the Payette for a week. Then up to the Little Salmon. Drop over to the Headwaters Salmon for some spankin Yankee Fork action and some roadside surfing with hot springs. Oh...the Murtaugh is running .... down to the snake for some big horizon lines and look at and shit myself on the Cauldron Linn move over a bit for the Milner Mile.

If you have the cajones for that - I don't.

For hiking and biking some of the Sawtooths and White Clouds can't be beat for hiking. the White Clouds have some world class single track. But that's all I know. I love it here but I am old and set in my ways and don't like rain. FWIW.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote