Old 11-27-2003   #1
Suggestions on 2004 excursion

With a lot of time on my hands here hoping for more rain tonight, i was thinking of a trip i'd like to make to the rockies next summer for some paddling/mtn biking. For starters i'd say 8 free days, 2-3 of those on the road from AL. What time should i try and make it out to get good paddling.

Background: I've paddled for just under 20 years however have never dabbled in highly technical or steep stuff. Started with my dad way back and am comfortable on ocoee, chattooga 3 1/2, chairlift of LRC, etc.. Lived in T'ride for a while in the mid '90s so i'm fairly familiar with the area and driving distances.

I was thinking of staying in the area of the Ark. R. but would also like to go to Moab/Durango for memory sake. I'm just looking for suggestions on an itinerary. Is going out of the way to Rabbit Ears for biking too much or worth it? I'd appreciate any responses.

cpolmatier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003   #2
It depends on when you will be in the area. If Keystone is open for mountain biking it would be the ride of a lifetime. Take the lift up and ride the trails down...

As for the Ark. that depends on river flow and skil level. The Arkansas has anything you could want from class I on the milk run to class iv - v Royal Gorge or the numbers.

e-mail me

david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003   #3
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
May and June

That's when you want to make you treck. All the best runs are in, and you can boat anywhere in the state. Biking is good all the time.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003   #4
Come in June and you will be psyched. I would recommend getting into the tight and technical there this winter. the south is way better for learning that stuff then here. Though there are some classics the steps in between are not as easy to find. Buy Colorado Rivers and Creeks. It has it all. If you only have 8 days by pass the Ark and paddle the animas, San Miguel, Upper Dolores, and if you have learned to creek some do lime and dorp adreniline falls. If you just want to paddle your ass off and Independence pass is open paddle the the Ark and the Roaring Fork Valley. Slauter house is very comparable to section 4 of the Chattooga, The Crystal narrows and Avalanche section are nice and the fork has some sick play in june and no lines.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote