Old 04-09-2013   #11
Originally Posted by johng View Post
If you use anti-fog (Cat Crap, waxed cloths for skiing or whatever) you'll have to use it _every_ time, and sometimes re-apply during the day.
I rely on frequent applications of spit.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #12
I used to use an old Army glasses. (BCGs for guys, RPDs of ladies) You can buy the type in the super cheap section of any eyeglass store. Heavy, thick plastic frame that went out of style in the 70s.

I had about 10 extra pair but as my eyes changed over the years they are all just about long since useless.

Black duct tape is great, Gorilla tape (also black) is awesome. Once boating season starts, I usually have the tape on for months. Duct-tape sticky gets soft after a couple weeks if you are boating 5 or more days a week and the band needs to be remade. Gorilla tape is waterproof and will last a couple months. Gorilla tape is very thick and stiff, so you have to "mold" a couple curves to it so it rests in the right spot on your neck. Trial and error till you get it right. Worth the time if you leave it on full time. Function over fashion.

For the past 10 years or so, I just make a 1/2-inch duct tape band on whatever pair I wear every day of my life. It stays on my head no matter what hole I get chundered in. Sometimes my glasses pull off and end up around my neck, but never lost. Before I started using duct tape, I have had croakies work off one side of the temple or the other and come off my face while under water.

That means stop your roll attempt immediately, cup your face with both hands, blindly locate and put glasses back on, find paddle if it is still there, and start roll attempt again via paddle or most likely hand roll.

So now I only use croakies if I know it will be a easy day on the water after asking everyone on the trip if they have fifteen inches of duct tape to spare.

I have tried several versions of defogger from spit, to catcrap, to baby shampoo, to rainex, to stuff for scuba diving with varied degrees of success and udder failure. But the best remedy is plain old river water. Now a days I just use a splash of water to the face to clear any fog or major water droplets. That works 100% of the time. But river water is dirty so they slowly get very spotty. I don't rub them until I'm off the water and can rinse them with clean water, spray them with lense cleaner and cloth or clean cotton shirt if I'm desperate.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #13
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Never tried it, but a buddy swears by RainX to minimize water drops and fogging. If it's good enough for aviation........
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #14
Commercial Paleontology
Well I have been thru the ganbit with glasses & afraid to do the lasik in my later years here..I prefer contacts over the glasses...but it depends on the air temps & water temps you are dealing with if going with glasses..They can be fine with the right factors...Under a full face it is definitely a problem...Just remember if you use glasses... polycarbonate is much safer but will scratch up fairly quick..& then you get all that light refraction going on which bugs lenses can be really dangerous if you end up upside down faceplanting into a rock..It's happened to me.. two broken lenses & multiple stitches... fortunately no damage to the eye... the photo grey on glass works much better than with plastic lenses..Bottom line is there are pluses & minuses to whatever way you go & it basiclly just sucks to have to deal with it...People with good vision don't know just how lucky they are..I've always been a little envious..ha. I'd stick with a soft lens contact & just have spares along....unfortunately if you have astigmatism the contacts are a bit more of a hassle than just being near or farsighted...Good Luck.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #15
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
to afraid to do the lasik in my later years here..
If you're a LASIK candidate, go for it.

You probably only read or need reading glasses a few hours a day.
Daily life the rest of your waking hours is better with no glasses.

If not for hiking, skiing, and boating, I probably wouldn't appreciate the Lasik correction the way I do. If given the chance to do it again, I'd take it a million times. I wish I had done it 5 or 6 years sooner when it first came out, even when it cost thousands more.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #16
Contacts never worked for me in ww so I always used to wear glasses. Spent the money on Rx Oakley Water Jackets and they were great but still fogged unless I was paddling in sunny, arid conditions. In plaes like BC, ecuador, etc, or even rainy afternoons in CO, they fogged and I was faced with paddling nearsighted or looking through fog.

A snowboard friend of mine is an ophthalmologist and recommended Paragon CRT to me a couple of years ago. CRT is a contact that you wear while sleeping that reshapes your cornea -just like lasik, but non permanently and with none of the risks lasik carries. I have been doing CRT for almost 2 years and it has been great. If you are a candidate, dont want to deal with glasses while recreating and are not down with the risks of corneal surgery, check it out here: Paragon CRT
American Whitewater's website and river stewardship projects are funded by paddlers. Please join, renew, or make a donation to help us protect whitewater rivers in Colorado and nationwide.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #17
Tucson, Arizona
duct tape with the croakies?
Please explain.

Originally Posted by johng View Post
Like Jennifer said. I've been cursed to kayak with glasses for 30 yrs. Fogging can be a huge deal. I don't know how many rapids I've run mostly blind because I went deep at the top and glasses fogged on surfacing. If you use anti-fog (Cat Crap, waxed cloths for skiing or whatever) you'll have to use it _every_ time, and sometimes re-apply during the day. And you'll still fog on bad days since nothing works all the time. Ventilation around the lenses is extremely important (same as for skiing ...). If you get close-fitting lenses or wrap-arounds you'll likely have a lot more trouble with fogging. But as someone said, this is also highly dependent on what you're running. Fogging usually isn't an issue on the Arkansas on a beautiful sunny day. It's serious issue on steep, cold creeks on rainy days in spring.

I use my regular sunglasses kayaking, which are high quality, expensive, coated, polarizing, etc. You're the best judge of how you treat glasses. I'm careful (hey, these things cost more than $500!) and mine even survived a Grand Canyon trip with only a few minor scratches. When it's bad - a wet warm day on a very cold river - kayaking with glasses really sucks, but I'd probably wear glasses most of the time anyway since they offer so much protection from physical abuses, glare, UV, etc.

Second advice to use duct tape with Croakies. Croakies are very good (and for whitewater kayaking I think floating is totally irrelevant) and you have to get thrashed to pull glasses out of Croakies. BUT (from experience!) it's a real (expensive) bummer when you get worked in a hole and emerge without glasses.

And be sure to remember that glasses DO NOT stay on if you're not wearing a helmet!!! I made the stupid mistake of a practice roll without my helmet - but only once.
rbferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #18
Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
50/50 baby shampoo and rubbing alcohol

keep in a small squirt bottle and give them a spray when you need it. usually lasts for 4 or 5 dunkings before you have to do again. water sheets off and leaves no spots.

croakies have always worked for me
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #19
Ft Collins, Colorado
Originally Posted by rbferd View Post
duct tape with the croakies?
Please explain.
After putting the Croakies on your glasses, tear off a small piece of duct tape - a strip ~ 3/8" by 3/4" or 1", and tape this to the end of the temple piece so it forms a tab that sticks out towards the back of your head (away from your ear). This keeps the Croakies from slipping off. It you need to, it's possible to roll the tab around the temple piece and pull the Croakies off. With the tab sticking out, the Croakies won't come off. It's a pain to install/ remove the tabs - duct tape leaves goo on some glass, etc., but a lot better than losing glasses. Maybe I'll try waterproof medical tape with Croakies this year - it's similarly stiff but perhaps less inclined to leave adhesive.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013   #20
Denver,, exhaustion
There are a few threads on here about this topic. (i know. I started a coupkle myself)

I switched last year to contacts and was amazed at how much less stressful it is/was running harder stuff when you could see.

in Colorado our water is cold, our head and faces vent so much heat you will fog. Period. no amount of product will change that.

there is about a 1 1/2 month period where it is not to bad, but other than that it is a fog fest.

trust me. I have contacts only for kayaking.

"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote