Old 07-05-2009   #11
colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Andy H. made note of the fine line an experienced boater must take when trying to assess skill level and ultimately try to give good advice to those who lack common sense/good judgement. Alot of us experienced boaters have been in this situation. Hopefully using one's knowledge of the river and some tact when talking to the idiot about to put on a river obviously beyond his/her/their skill and/or equipment level will lead to some common sense being instilled into the idiot's head. But sometimes even the best laid plans don't come to fruition and that's when we as experienced boaters (although not legally obligated) have to do our part to help out the idiots and show the rest of the world that whitewater can be enjoyed safely when one is educated and possesses the right skills and equipment.

raftafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #12
Last night I saw a TV report here in GJ about "rafters" needing to be rescued and it turns out they were in tubes. Uh, those would be called "tubers", not rafters. And there was another group last week on Walmart "rafts" that were the equivalent of pool toys and they had "forgotten" their life jackets. Unfortunately, no matter how much education you try to do, there are always going to dumb people out there and as Andy H said, the media makes no distinction between idiots who are pitifully unprepared for moving water and those of us who have worked for years to obtain the equipment and skills necessary.

Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #13
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think it helps if we can get the word out to the media. What happened to the gal from the Fox station in Denver who was kind of doing a rafting series? Is she still around? Maybe AW or a local group or something could help with some PR: "Don't be a gaper" or something like that...
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Tis the season. We have them in Durango too.

Durango Herald News, Rescuers aid stranded Animas tubers
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #15
glenwood springs, Colorado
the durango story is even stupid-er! 15 year olds? i might be a tad protective, but i don't let my 15 year old run the river on her kayak, on our raft, on a tube, on a duckie, on a river board (get the drift) without an adult -- a smart adult, with river experience, at that!
10grtkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #16
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I lost count of the number of tubers on Filter Plant without pfd's, most come out with red welts from running into rocks and branches with only swim suits on. Usually on the shuttle back up you find many walking along the road barefoot because 1.) their tube popped or 2.) they scared the crap out of themselves getting tossed in some of the small holes on the run.

To quote Napoleon, "Freakin' Idiot(s)!"
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #17
colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
Tis the season. We have them in Durango too.

Durango Herald News, Rescuers aid stranded Animas tubers
So the newspaper referred to the incident as a "rafting expedition" ?!
Since when do tubers count as rafters? Most people are just so ignorant when it comes to the definition of rafter, rafting, etc. Please don't misconstrue my words here - I do love tubers, but really only when they are cooked properly (i.e. baked, fried, mashed, etc)
raftafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #18
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

I Live Here And Float Here. There is an almost Non-exsistance of PFD's on this River! I've seen watched again and again countless numbers of people,10-16 in a raft with NO PFD's Mom Dad and the Kids out for a good time. Or even worse,Just the Kids!
Then there are the Fishin'Guy's who I Guess if You Own Your Own Boat??? There is NO NEED TO WEAR FLOATATION? I Say this because I have asked on several occasion," Hey Do you have PFD's"?
The answer is usually, This is My Boat I Don 't Have To Wear One"
I'm Not making that up, I hear it EveryDay.
I Guess if you own your own boat,You get a Free Pass on Drowning?
See Ya In The Papers.
Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #19
Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 84
You people need to settle down! You all act like novices who just graduated from Swift Water Rescue Class. This behavior has been going on for ever and will continue.

Calmly help and calmly suggest. Don't freak out and call everyone idiots. We all have talents and nobody is better than anyone else.
ericnourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #20
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You're right, they definitely have better nun-chuck skills than I do, I just wish they'd hold onto their damn shoes especially since half the time they end up walking the highway barefoot.

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote