Old 06-28-2005   #1
Strainer on Fish Creek

There is a new ( as of tonight) river wide strainer on upper Fish Creek It is directly below Triple Drop and as such is in as about as bad a place as it can be. Don't do the run right now if you don't know it, and if you do make damn sure you are upright and can catch the river right eddie at the bottom of Triple Drop or you are dead meat.

Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #2
Lewiston, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
Is it possible to scout this part? I haven't run fish creek, but was hoping to meet some southeasterners for a run Sunday or Monday. If there's enough water. Any suggested minimum's?

alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #3
Best levels for upper and lower could be 2 feet 4 inches (first timers that is). Right now it seems to be getting up to 2' 3" at night. If this will last to the weekend you might be in luck. It is much higher at night, the later the better. Get a local to show you down cause there are 2 strainers on lower and 2 new ones on upper that just appeared this week (in bad spots too).

My personal cutoff is around 2 ' 1" on the gauge for lower, below this it is just too damn manky and bumpy to be fun. It is shallow and just work below this level.

Upper is tough at 2' 1", the last second moves around a variety of peton and pin rocks keep you on your toes. At 2'8" many folks start breathing very hard and feeling a bit to tired to be having fun (that is my favorite level).

Right now you will be contending with lower water. There may be a crew going in to pull that log out of upper soon, but do not count on it. I think people who do not know the creek should not attempt it with this strainer. It is right below the hardest move on the river (triple drop), many 1st timers end up upside down. If you floated into the log this way you would be screwed. This is about 1/4 mile down the run and it is maybe your 3rd bend in the river.

Wait for some beta. I will get back to you on this one.