Mountain Buzz banner

STOPS ON WESTWATER?

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  whip 
#1 ·
Hey cyber land,

What are some of the must see stops on Westwater. I've been to the cabin and the cave, but want to see other must see sights.

Also, what level is good to go into the room of doom intentionally?

Thanks

TDA

#2 ·
Westwater sights to see

There are a few inscriptions although they are hard to find. The waterfall at "Little Dolores". The "Cowboy Grave" river left after last chance. Big Hole camp is a great place to explore. Then just before the ramp @ Cisco, There is a hole in the cliff face river right. Slide in on your back and sit up at the end. Have something small with you to put on the shelf. When you're at the ramp. Visit the Memorial site 100' yards up river. Cisco is also a great "Dinosaur" bone and fossil hunting ground.
Have Fun

#3 ·
ROD entry levels are of course skill and craft dependent. Kayaks in and out are easy through middle of the single thousands. Ferrying in in the teens takes some motivation, as does exiting. Scope for amount of logs and carcasses before taking an inflatable in there.

#4 ·
Hey thanks for the beta. Are you saying that there is a cowboy grave after Last Chance rapid? My old Belknap guide says there is an outlaw grave river left after the outlaw cave. Two graves on Westwater? Thanks very much for the info. I want to check everything out I can on this short stretch.

#5 ·
I'm only familiar with the grave below outlaw cave and just above marble canyon on river left. There's a rock cairn that I've been told that marks the grave.

Also, just above marble canyon rapid is a great little hike on river left. It's also a cool hike up the tilted rock formation after skull on river right--this will take you up on the bench overlooking the inner canyon, and you can walk back up to the skull/room of doom overlook.

#6 ·
Cowboy Graves

Here's the story as I know it. Of course this may vary as it has been a long time since...
Two brothers,Self proclaimed Robbers and thieves. The cave was the "Hide Out" They stole an Apple pie from a women in Escalante' She tracked them down, All the way to the river. The Rangers came in from both sides, With guns .Started a gun fight. They shot the first one, He fell in the river. Then they tracked the other one down the canyon. Where he had a makeshift punt boat. As he ran the canyon the Ranger's waited untill He actually made it thru the rapids. When he exited the river and tried to make it up the canyon wall, Thats where they shot him dead!
There are 2 different spots that mark this happening. Neither one of them have an actual body in the ground. They are just points of interest!

#7 ·
Below 4k you should be good to row into the ROD. I've only been in there around that level. If you can manage to "eddy out" in there,and tie up on the upstream side of the ROD,then you can scramble up to the rim for some cool views. My brother took a nice pic from up there,it's the "cover photo" on the AW Westy page. Great view looking straight down on Skull too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.