Old 05-01-2009   #1
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Stoner Stampede Section (Dolores River)

Anyone ever paddle this section? i have a friend who owns property along this stretch of the Dolores.

It says class 3 (above 700 cfs)...but is that only for the one mile of play section? Right now it is crankin at 2K.

i take it this section stops flowing relativley quickly (late may) every year?

also is it raftable

thanks for any input

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Did it last season. The gauge was reading about 1500. The gauge is below the confluence with the West Fork of the Dolores which contributes a significant amount of flow. We actually had about 1000 on the run. The play was just coming in and it was really good. It would be sick at super high flows. It's primarily II with a mile or so of III/III+ in the play section. When we did it, it would have been raftable but that would limit your put-in and take-out options (because it wasn't super high, we put in lower and took out higher than the official locations recommended in WSR). There is however a lot of potential for wood, so I would check in with that before launching a rubber boat in there.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #3
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks Count.

Sounds like a good enough run if we're staying on the property (they property is actually Stoner Ranch- the old ski hill?) i believe the ranch is the actual Bridge takeout listed by many. At least i know the property is across the street from the "town" of stoner (the shutdown bar).

I guess we'll kayak it before throwing rubber in there.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #4
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
You'll be fine at the current level. I live in the valley and it was runnable over a week ago in my 14'. It didn't look like much fun at that level though. I've only run it from the West Fork down but I know people raft from bear creek (well above stoner) down. The Redburn Ranch above the old ski resort is a pretty braided section but still runable at these flows. As Count said above, the west fork and other smaller stuff that bring in considerable flow to the Dolores Gauge. There are three creeks (Priest Gulch, Taylor, and Stoner) and smaller drainages that bring in flows below the Rico gauge. Somewhere in the middle is the flow!
Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote