Old 11-28-2014   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by danger View Post
also, when you jump right into 5's make sure it's with an unknown crew that you won't likely paddle with again. this way your regular crew won't think you're completely shady and reckless. i recall showing up to a decent class 5 in colorado that i'd never seen before and joined a group at the put in. i convinced them that i knew what i was getting into (i had no idea) and i was completely sketched and ran shady awful lines all day- what a great learning experience!

You're being sarcastic right? Sometimes I'm sarcastic on the internet and somebody
doesn't get the joke, which turns out to be hilarious.

Pretty much everything you said is the worst advice a new kayaker could ever receive. Don't show up to run hard whitewater without a clue. "Oh yeah bro, I run the Green all the time."

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014   #22
oh yeah
I simply offer an alternative to the usual, and predictable, advice offered to a newer paddler. I didn't play it safe in my progression and I often got in over my head. I frequently paddled hard water solo and swam a bunch.
I hope no one gets hurt following my advice. However, I found success in the sink or swim approach.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
New perspectives are great and all, but newbies following danger's advice should know that the approach is exposing you to a ton of danger. It can also be difficult finding paddling partners if you gain a reputation for swimming and scattering your gear all over the river.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014   #24
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I just can't agree with danger on this one. When you make the jump directly from class 3 to class 5, you want to be with a solid crew of dudes who are ready to beater it up, run some terrible lines, and yard sale their shit all over the place too.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014   #25
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
Jesus! Dangerīs recommendation is so bass-ackwards that it it helarious! Gotta love it! Suggest it to other people, no way, but love it, hell yes.
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014   #26
Steamboat, Colorado
Hey guys! I'm looking to run some nice class V's in the area. I've got a TON of experience (although I still can't roll) on class III and I'm ready to step it up a couple notches! Who wants to throw me a rope numerous times while they watch me get recirculated in a hole I had no idea was even there, followed by chasing my boat and paddle and the rest of my yard sale down the river???? Sounds like a good time, eh?? Don't bother getting my number, cuz you're never gonna wanna paddle with me again!!!!!! MWHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, coming from a beginner who has struggled through water I wasn't ready for and ended up having major psychological issues because of it, this is the dumbest idea you could possibly conceive. Whitewater is already dangerous enough without adding stupidity to the concoction.
If I followed danger's suggestion, not only would I be a danger to myself, but in a class V situation I could easily be a liability and danger to all others involved.

Rant over. Now, who wants to play "rescue the newbie?"
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014   #27
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
I was wondering when someone was going to get really pissed at Dangerīs comments!
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #28
Colorado, Colorado
I think it's low water and some of you are really fucking gullible!

Especially saying taking "danger's" advice would be... (wait for it) "dangerous"!

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah too funny. Lighten up.

My advice-

Do whatever feels right to you and don't listen to the naysayers. I got all kinds of shit when I felt like I was ready to step up in my 2nd season.
BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #29
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You people are way too gullible. But to the original poster's point, it's a pet peeve of mine that boaters think that the way to step up is to 'nut up.' You get there through lots of focused practice and sometimes doing stuff that's not actually that fun like paddling flat water or playboating. It's not in the videos, but I'm willing to bet you virtually all those people running the gnar for a long time have put in their fair share of hard work.

Also ask yourself, what's the rush? Is your goal to paddle for the next 2 years and tick off all your dream runs, or to paddle for the next 20+ years? If it's the latter, then take your time.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014   #30
Steamboat, Colorado
Hmm... funny... I'm not really pissed or offended. I also don't think anybody is really that stupid. I actually thought my response was rather lighthearted, guess that's the "danger" that lies in text rather than speech.
People should move at their own pace, and learn with what they're comfortable with, and other people they know and trust to help out in sticky situations. That doesn't mean it's okay to put other people at risk because of your stupidity and ignorance to the potential of nature's brutality, especially without being honest about your own skill level. I wouldn't ask anybody to paddle Gore with me right now, and even if I did, I really don't think anybody would be interested. Or would they?

I guess "Careful" is my middle name.

It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote