Old 08-08-2006   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Status of the Fort Collins Poudre Play park?

Is this still going to happen? Anyone know the status?

jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Where would it be and what would the target flows be?

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
maybe I'm smokin crack, but I thought there were fundraisers for it early this year or late last year. I dunno.
Old 08-08-2006   #4
Da Fort, Colorado

This is a little while back, don't know if anything has changed since.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #5
I came up with this april update:
Sounds like they're still fundraising (as of April).
alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks for the update.... I'm wondering what else can be done. A playpark in FC would be oh so sweet.
Old 08-09-2006   #7
Considering the trickle of water that has been flowing down the Poudre this year and the fact that these low water years seem to be the norm now, is it really feasible to have a play park there? Especially with the Glade Reservoir project getting the go ahead. Does any one know how much water they would need and will it be useable in August or just in June/early July?
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #8
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Here is a quick idea for the FC guys. I do not know anything about the Glade Reservoir project, but we have had great success with water flow at the October Hole in Lyons. We got some great cooperation from the Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District

The idea is that for any reservoir or canal or pipeline project, especially ones that are fed from canals and tunnels from the West slope is to build a whitewater feature on the structure leading into the Lake. This can be done safely, can fully utilize the water for maximum benefit and can have longer term flows than nature can provide us. I think this could be done in newer projects if it were designed ahead of time that would greatly reduce any safety concerns that the Water Boards might have. What do you think??? Sorry to hijack your thread
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006   #9
It seems there’s never really a short answer, is there?
1) the Glade Reservoir is not approved, it is merely in the initial stages of the NEPA process (public meetings have been conducted, awaiting release of the draft EIS, potentially as early as this winter).
2) the Glade Reservoir is an off channel reservoir near the mouth of the Poudre Canyon and is part of the 2 reservoir Northern Integrated Supply Project (NISP).,
3) the Glade Reservoir uses a pumping station near the Poudre at Ted’s Place to put water into the reservoir
4) the Galeton Reservoir is located out on the plains east of Ault and would work in conjunction with Glade and has it’s own pump station.
5) the plumbing is amazing: Glade – Galeton transfers, Glade – Horsetooth transfers via ditches and pipelines and pump stations. Chandler Peter ( from the USACE is the lead agency contact.
6) the Poudre River Enhancement project includes more than a play park and funding efforts have highlighted improvement of river/streambank health through the project reach as a major part of the project
7) taking water out of the Poudre, for me, does not seem to contribute favorably to river or stream health
8) the current list of NISP participants (Berthoud, Central Weld County WD, Eaton, Erie, Evans, Ft. Collins-Loveland WD, Ft. Lupton, Ft. Morgan, Lafayette, Morgan County Quality WD, Severance, Windsor)
9) note that NISP participants include cities that are not in the Poudre watershed (ala West Slope diversions).
10) Two participants have withdrawn from the project due to excessive cost (Northern Weld and Little Thompson Water Districts)
11) As Arn suggests, ditches might create boating/feature opportunities when there is little/no water left in the river. I agree that it is reasonable to use opportunities that are available, but for me is no reason to support irresponsible water projects.
12) The following groups are some that are monitoring efforts to undermine the health of the Poudre River and asking decision makers to truly evaluate the financial burden ($$/acre foot yield for new storage vs. water conservation), continued degradation of Poudre River and watershed conditions, growth that is neither well planned nor paying for itself, etc.
a. Friends of the Poudre (
b. Trout Unlimited (
c. Audobon Society (
d. Poudre Paddlers (
e. Sierra Club (
f. Colorado Environmental Coalition (
g. Citizen Planners (

shelbdad is offline   Reply With Quote