Old 08-11-2010   #11
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Its an entire day's float with absolutely flat water the whole way. But you'll save $3.50 each!
There is enough flat water at these flows as it is, that's why I was thinking State Bridge.

I knew it wasn't going to be cheap. For my familly of four, I'd probably be OK with it once in a while. Like Gremlin said, sometimes it's good to support the local economies anyway.

If they charge by the car, how much per car? I look at it this way. I paid $26 to camp overnight on the Arkansas at Ruby Mountain (online reservation fee and the camp site fee), so if I could do an overnight on the Upper C for the same, that would be OK with me.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #12
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Two years ago I got charged $10.00 per car and $3.50 per person. It came up to about $50+ dollars. I was not happy and vowed never to use them again and I haven't as of yet. I will break down my boat and carry it under the railroad tracks before I use them again or have someone else pay for it if that is where they want to take out. I felt like I was getting ripped off but who do you complain to or verify this is the accurate amount?

mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #13
eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
My kids love, love, love this stretch of river. We have only been charged $3.5 per person.

Need I remind everyone that this takeout is private property? They do not have to let us take out there. For a family with young kids, it is worth every penny to be able to back up the trailer and pop the boat on

If you are courteous to the couple running it, they are the same to you...
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #14
Golden, Colorado
I took out there once this year. We had a group of about 5 rafts and lots of people and it cost a FORTUNE. They are overcharging for sure. The takeout exists and it has porta-potties for the people who can't hold it any longer. Those are the only good things I have to say for it.

I don't care about supporting a local economy if the locals are gouging me. I will not encourage such behavior. If I run this section again I'll carry my stuff up to the shoulder of the main road. I ended up carrying all my gear to the top of the hill at the private takeout anyways... the narrow steep road down to our takeout only fit one vehicle at a time.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #15
Summit County, Colorado
I'm with ya, Ture. It costs a fortune to take out there, and they have always charged us per person AND per vehicle. It's not even that great of a ramp for pulling a boat out with a trailer. We've also experienced some not-so-nice 'employees' there, and I can say with confidence that we were being polite, honest, and fast with loading our gear. However, we have never had kids with us, so maybe if we did they would be nicer. That's kind of the vibe I'm getting from previous posts - bring the kids and they're super nice. Pretty sure the last time we took out there was two years ago. We either take out at Rancho, or keep going to Catamount. It's totally not worth it, in my opinion.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #16
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've only used that takeout once. We parked the shuttle vehicle across the bridge. Maybe that is why they didn't charge us for the vehicle, only the people. It appears it is now $15 per vehicle.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
We have used this takeout about 10 times over the past few years, just the wife and I, and we have never had any unpleasant experiences. We always get a shuttle from Rancho and have never paid more than the $3.50/person when taking out, no mention of a parking fee. It could be included in the Rancho shuttle fee but this is first I have ever heard of paying to leave a vehicle at State Bridge.

Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing. - Thomas Jefferson
Snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote