Old 04-25-2005   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Starter Rivers?

I'm new to the area so I don't know much about rivers that you can actually run without a permit around here. I have a friend coming into town mid-May. He's got his role down but has never run a river so I was thinking nothing above a class III river. If you know of anything besides play spots please let me know. I live in Denver but wouldn't mind traveling a couple of hours out.

LizaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #2
The filter plant run on the Poudre is a great starter run, if the flows are good that is a great spot. I think that the union play park is a great spot for your friend to get his/her in current roll down also.

kkeane7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #3
Grizzly Creek on the Colorado is another good choice. The put-in is at the I-70 rest stop east of Glenwood Springs, and the take-out is at the Three Rivers park in town, or on down at the South Canyon rapid/exit.
ericF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #4
oh yeah
Upper Colorado (Pumphouse). your friend can swim from bank to bank and then warm up in the hot spring. ~2hrs from denver
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #5
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Also, Upper C from the bridge below Rancho to State Bridge is similar to Pumphouse run. Both are great beginner runs. Grizzley is good too, as someone mentioned. Upper C is good for never-evers if you put in near Ranco because it starts out in flat water that the new boater can paddle around in and get comfortable with.

Keep in mind though that Upper Colorado is running real low right now. It will get better a little later. Grizzly near Glenwood might be a better bet if you are going soon.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I would also check out the Ark at that time- the Frog Rock and Parkdale sections will probably be running, but not too high...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #7

I think that the Deckers area of the South Platte the mile or so before The Chutes portion is alot of fun its mostly class 2 but with lots of boulders that you have to negotiate so lots of opportunitys to work on eddie stuff especily around 150-200 cfs and I am a beginner with no roll. Alot off new boater stuff is taught around there. It is about an hour from Denver out 285.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #8
LizaS - check your personal messages.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #9
heres a few options:so.platte c-470 or mineral thru the union and oxford drops flat withsome 2 3- + union and some drops below it, so. platte chutes to waterton2+ with one 3or3+ dependind on flow, lower foxton from 2 miles below foxton road to waterton easy 3,the last two are easily combined and totally road scoutable then if you,re doing well you could hit the rest of foxton 3 4- depending on flow or waterton class3 low ; clear crk. Idaho Spgs. to kermits easy 3 ..bear crk.;sheridan to federal short fun fast flat with 4 2+ 3- type drops need 175 cfs,BLUE RIVER lower is a short easy semi- wilderness run upr. is 3 below500 cfs easily combine both runs or with state bridge. upr gore creek 3 with good play and lower eagle 3 3- hit these on your way to shoshone, grizzly creek to glenwood, and lower roaring fork. and finally lower arkansas rincon 2=3 or parkdale 3 both can be road scouted reasonably well put in take out where you want.

if you don't already have the bible ,COLORADO CREEKS AND RIVERS 2, YOU SHOULD GET IT ! HAVE FUN
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005   #10
how could i forget boulder creek play park and town run 2 3 with play and lower vrain runs, also filter plant and lwr. mishwaka on the poudre

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote