Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-30-2010   #11
Originally Posted by jmcdannel View Post
I'm not convinced the contact form is work. It was broken in firefox (earlier today at least). Tom Long is the owner, Tren Long is his son. I think tom's email is tom@cascaderaft.com, tren's is tren@cascaderaft.com

Thanks, I sent also to the above emails.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #12
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
The public forum is set for 7:00pm Monday October 11th at Cascade/Maravia in Garden City. (Garden City is the armpit of Boise for those of you not familiar with the Treasure Valley).

Attend if you can. I'll be relaying the outcry I'm seeing here, on facebook, ID WW yahoo group and wherever else the boating public speaks.

jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #13
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Josh -

Thanks a lot for your advocacy here. I'm really surprised these things are allowed.

Text of my e-mail:

Hi Tom -

Word has it that you are the holder of a permit to move a rock in staircase. I'd really appreciate it if you didn't exercise that permit. Rocks are part of the game, and part of what I love about my passion for the water. I can understand your desire to remove the rock, but you will also remove the character.

Additionally, I can see the possibility that if someone were hurt on your new rapid, the blame suddenly shifts from nature to you. I'd get a good lawyer now.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #14
Boise, Idaho
Save the Rock!

Black Mirror - Josh McDannel: Rivers, Code, Cards, and Deep Thoughts - Blog - Save the*Rock

Thanks for all of your help Mtn Buzz!

Old 09-30-2010   #15
Leadvillian, Colorado
those of you closer to this watershed please keep us updated on what's going on here

has anyone contacted AW or any other non-profits that could contribute experience from the Dimple Rock dispute or the recent issue at Frog?

if the permit is issued does anyone have inside info on when the excavation could start?

perhaps a river side protest could draw boise / nat'l media attention?
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I sent this:

As a boater I implore you not to modify the river.

Hire more experienced guides or do more extensive training.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #17
Leadvillian, Colorado
I posted this on the Idaho forum:

I spoke with a representative of Cascade, and I think the previous poster who stated that there's a void in good information is correct.

First, I think Cascade moved quickly on this issue as far as applying for the permit and studying the feasibility due to the time frame of maintenance on the dam. They don't intend to proceed regardless of input from the community. Everyone should feel better knowing that their opinion will be heard and the decision will be made by a majority within our community.

Next, part of their perspective is that the rock was moved to its current location by heavy equipment during the dredging operations in 2002. Considering the fatality as well as the number of both private and commercial boats that struggle with the rapid and create potentially dangerous situations AND the fact that it is not a pristine natural stream bed but one that was altered 8 years ago, we as a COMMUNITY may value the opportunity to change where the rock sits.

There is a lot to consider. It may not be worth trying at all or it could be something that has value. Regardless, I don't think there's a need to villanize the Longs. They're merely proposing one option.
Old 09-30-2010   #18
Leadvillian, Colorado
Also, another post from Yahoo Groups: Idaho Whitewater, from Tren Long, a member of the family that owns Cascade Raft and Kayak:

Hey all,
I will be shortly posting over on payetteriver.org a statement if you will about
this whole rock moving thing. But before we get out the pitchforks and torches-
We put in a permit to see if the rock COULD be moved- we have currently no
definitive plans to haul the rock out over the outcry of the boating community.
We have followed all of the protocol as is set out by the state of Idaho. We
are not deciding what is safe and not in the river, there is a unique
opportunity with the Deadwood being off - to see this rock and why it has a
sieve that can and has trapped a human body. We are open to community input and
appreciate the boating community.
Thanks for all the feedback,

Tren Long
Old 09-30-2010   #19
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Permit revoked!

Wow, I have NEVER seen so fast of public response, result in so fast of gov't response! Email from IDWR below:

Ms. Howe,
Thank you for your comments. IDWR has issued an order to revoke the permit to remove the boulder from staircase rapid. The process will be returned to the application phase and the decision to approve or deny the proposal will be open to public comment.
Aaron Golart
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #20
Boise, Idaho
We did it! From the IDWR:

IDWR has issued to revoke the Stream Channel Alteration Permit S65-20164 to remove a boulder from “Staircase Rapid” in the South Fork Payette River. The application will follow a process that will include input from the public.

Thank you to all who helped.