Old 07-01-2005   #1
St. Vrain suitable for newbie?

My wife has finally expressed an interest in getting in her boat for the first time this year. This will be her second time ever on moving water in a kayak. Filter plant is definitely an option, but I was also thinking about the St. Vrain through Lyons, but I've never done the town run there, just visited the black bear holes. Anyone care to offer their opinion on suitability of this run for a newbie's 2nd time on the water to mainly work on eddy turns, peel outs, ferries, etc.?

parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #2
It is a mellow run, the most exciting points will probably be found in the Lyons playpark (up stream of the BB hole) and in the drop just above the playpark, scout river left. You could go check it out on your way to the put in. The run from Apple Valley bridge down is the section I am guessing you are talking about. There is a little bit of eddy practice to be had but it is mostly just a float through riffle water. It will be low an boney below 250 on the waterpark guage (213 right now). That is just my opinion. I know others than run it lower. The park should be good at those levels though although it might be a bit of a challenge for a second time in the river. The section above (CR80 to applevalley bridge) is a lot of fun when the water picks up but it is definetly not a beginner run.

CoreyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #3
There was a nasty little spot just down from the Applesomething bridge. Wood was stuck in some boulders, but that was about 3 weeks ago. The park would be fun for her. That drop above Black Bear hole is more like a slide and will definitely intimidate the newbie. It was fun though. When I hit the bottom, it sucked my tail and I squirted down the bottom. There's no way to portage it due to private property. It was pretty boney last weekend, but the park and the holes were great.
Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote