Old 06-05-2013   #41
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You don't trust the gauges? Trust the gauges.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #42
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I trust it, I'm just curious what it correlates to. Sounds like 130 was apx 4.5", so what's 160? 6.5"?

stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #43
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
SSV was 6" on the stick @ 5:30PM, and 7-8" after we got off. Awesome flow last night. Hell yeah! The mank is getting covered, but the holes and push aren't stompy yet. I'd call it the perfect med/low.

More info of the flow calc...

We rejoiced when NSV below buttonrock gauge came back online. The SSV gauge math using that is SSV = ST Vrain @ Lyons - NSV below buttonrock. That equation holds (to a degree) when buttonrock is not full.

I spoke with the longmonth water guys, and this is what I got... When buttonrock is fun, some ungauged flow goes over the spillway and returns into the creek below the NSV below buttonrock gauge, so the gauge math using NSV below buttonrock is off. They try to keep the spill to less than 50 cfs, but you never know what they are spilling. So when buttonrock is full (just recently filled, I think last friday), the math would be SSV = st vrain @ lyons - nsv above buttonrock. Also, longmont takes out ~25 cfs out of longmont reservoir, which is below the nsv below buttonrock gauge, so NSV below buttonrock gauge will read 25 cfs higher than what is in the creek heading down to lyons.

So to be as correct as you can...

SSV when buttonrock is not spilling = st vrain @ lyons - nsv below buttonrock - 25cfs.

SSV when buttonrock is spilling = st vrain @ lyons - nsv above buttonrock - 25cfs.

Also, the middle saint vrain at peaceful valley is a good barometer gauge for SSV. They take all the water out of SSV @ ward for the left hand diversion, so the MSV gives a good low end approximation of what SSV is doing.

So there you have it... kinda complicated, but for gauge geeks who are constantly trying to figure out what SSV is doing, this should help.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #44
Boulder, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to bolsito

I think you mean +25 in all of those calculations - if they're taking water from NSV, that should make SSV higher than it would otherwise appear.
Scott Andrews
(nine seven eight)-46O-3347
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #45
Denver, Colorado
You are right Scott. Add 25 to the calcs not subtract. Brain fart on my part.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote