Old 05-21-2014   #21
For sure about the beer Ian. My post wasn't meant to be a personal attack on you, since you do make shit happen. The stance of "suck it ... because it's better" kind of annoyed me, because I think it sucks compared to what it used to be (naturally due to natural causes, unnaturally due to the road). True that I didn't go up the canyon while they were rebuilding, since the message I got was to stay out of the flood areas until things were rebuilt. Regretting not checking it out earlier.

Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
The creek as it stands is temporary. There will be permanent road work next year where the highway will be rebuilt with a permanent road bed, not the temp road bed that is currently there.
I tend to view the creek as permanent (regardless of where it flows) and the road temporary (regardless of how well it's built). I realize that societies demand to rebuild as quickly and aggressively as possible has much greater backing than societies desire to protect our rivers and streams, thus this situation.

Fantastic news if CDOT is willing to rebuild the road in a less detrimental way to the creek. The sooner the better from an environmental standpoint for the canyon, so does anyone know how much time we have to get in on the pre-construction phase of the rebuild?

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #22
We needed a wall to maintain the width of the creek here, or better yet, a bridge, and we got this:
Repairs 1 — CDOT

I hope they remove a lot of what was added. It feels like they widened the road bed in the process of the rebuild. Some of the google imagery shows where they pinched the creek.

Kyle McCutchen
Old 06-01-2014   #23

There is a very large, river-wide, pine tree over the section near the old Box Springs drop. Will need chainsaw work at some point.

One-in-Five has a smaller branch sticking up vertically in the landing of the pool, sticking out of the water a few feet. Less of an issue, and worth a glance.

Water was pumping last night. Wondering if any of the pros at LOG fired it up this week?
Kyle McCutchen
Old 06-01-2014   #24
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Thanks for the heads up.
There were discussions about running ssv but to my knowledge everyone had passed.
We are considering do confluence to after work
Did you go up that high?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014   #25
Didn't kayak last night, was just driving by after a hike and pulled over to scout a few times. It's running large.

The drops above the Confluence didn't look too good, and the Confluence drop itself is kind of gone. From the Confluence down looked the best, taking out near the outhouse pull off.

Bottom of the Narrows, down through 1in5, and all the way to town looked great as well.

Narrows cascades itself didn't clean up much with the extra water. And two of the holes are rather large. Not many eddies anywhere.

Some of the upper upper SSV stuff looked more promising than I remember in years past, maybe due to the vegetation getting cleared out.
Kyle McCutchen
Old 06-14-2014   #26
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Did part of it today. Not what I expected based on descriptions. We ran from the confluence down to above reach-around. Confluence to the main run was kind of novel but not great whitewater, except those 2 drops at the put-in. The 1/2 mi of the main run we did was sweeet. There's new wood in bed springs, but I really think it's not a big factor, but the reach-around through bed springs combo looks doable but stout at these flows. The old overhanging rock drops looks good but it has a fallen tree all the way across it and is a no go. The random drop below that, which usually wasn't a big deal, has what looks like a mandatory mystery move into it. It goes, but I wouldn't mind someone else going first. I didn't explore below that but wish I had time to.

I would say SSV is still a run, but maybe with a longer portage or little shuttle in the middle unless you're ready to run a few questionable drops. It seems like the eroded banks are causing trees to fall in, so will probably have to deal with that for a couple years.

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote