Old 08-02-2006   #1
sports enthusiast
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via AIM to sgb3000
Squirt City

When one uses the name "Squirt City," in reference to a spot on the Arkansas, what is the location/feature one is talking about?

sgb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
they are likely talking about the Squirt Dome a classic old school ark spot. It is a two mile section near Swissvale with some great, deep eddies and crazy converging currents. It is good at all levels (in the past I would go there in April at 250cfs to get in shape). The mystery spot is only in at high flows. To get there drive east out of Salida on 50. In Wellsville, cross the river and start driving downstream on the dirt road. Once you cross under the railroad tracks drive downstream until you see a big diangnal boulder (typewriter wave). From there down to just above Rincon is great. You can paddle down to Rincon and leave a car there or take out on river left and hike back up. Fun spot. There are also some fun cliff jumps down there.

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #3
The next zone, .
The "squirt dome" - man been some time since anyone has talked about this spot. Look for the locals jumpin off the cliffs just where mike said - this is the spot.

Also about a mile above the upper BV hole is a good down time eddie line. It can actually push you to the bottom. It is good right now and will be until Aug 15th. It is a park and play spot - good for guys like me - I cannot figure out how that squirt boat gets smaller every year.

Man all this squirt talk makes me want to get out the bigfoot, or the sin!

Time to go squirtin!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #4
sports enthusiast
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Send a message via AIM to sgb3000
Thanks for the beta, fellaz.

There are a few of us convening at Rincon this Saturday to hit the spot below the island, just above the takeout.

Dust off the squirts and come join us! It's a sweet spot. Check out these rides from last weekend:

And some more from Golden to get you fired up:

Hope to see you there. Not sure what the exact plans are yet, but I imagine we'll be there most of Saturday morning and into the afternoon.

Take care,
sgb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote